Skip to main content

Housing and tax support

Housing Benefit helps you with your rent payments if you are eligible and on a low income or not working.  The amount you can get will depend on your household's income and circumstances. To see if you are eligible and to apply for Housing Benefit visit: Waverley Borough Council - How to claim Housing Benefit. 

If you're a council tenant having difficulty making your rent payments, please contact the Housing Team on 01483 523520 to discuss your difficulties. 

See Problems paying your council rent? for more information. 

Where it is impractical to adapt the property for the disabled person's needs or where it is more cost effective for the disabled person to move into a more suitable property, we may provide a Relocation Grant to cover costs associated with the move such as removal expenses and utility connection costs. The maximum amount of a grant is £10,000 and the amount of grant is determined by a means test. To apply for the Relocation Grant visit: Waverley Borough Council - Relocation grant 

You can claim Council Tax Support if you are unemployed or on a low income and are liable to pay Council Tax for your home. How much you would be entitled to will depend on you and your household's income and circumstances.

Find out how to claim Council Tax Support

If you're having difficulty making Council Tax payments, please contact the Council Tax team on 01483 523500 to discuss your difficulties.

Help available if you're struggling to pay Council Tax

You may be entitled to receive these National Insurance credits if you are a grandparent, or other family member, who cares for a child under 12, usually whilst their parent (or main carer) is working. To see if you are eligible visit: Specified Adult Childcare credits: fact sheet - GOV.UK ( 

If you are over 60, disabled or vulnerable, our Handyperson Service, provided by the Guildford and Waverley Care and Repair Agency, can carry out a range of minor works to help prevent falls and speed up return to home from hospital. 

These works are carried out free of charge. To find out more about the Handyperson Service visit: Handyperson Service | Grants for private housing | Private sector housing | Housing | Services | Waverley Borough Council