Skip to main content

Help if you're struggling to pay Council Tax

Are you struggling to make payments?

You usually pay your Council Tax bill in instalments over 10 months.

This is a difficult and uncertain time for many of us.  If you're struggling to pay your Council Tax or need to talk to us about a temporary change to your payments, we can help.

Contact the Council Tax team immediately to discuss your situation.  We will consider each request on a case-by-case basis and try to adapt the solution to best fit your needs.

Tel: 01483 523511


Additional support

If you're on a low income, you may be eligible to receive Council Tax Support.

You can claim Council Tax Support if you are unemployed or on a low income and are liable to pay Council Tax for your home.  How much you would be entitled to will depend on you and your household's income and circumstances.

If you have more than £16,000 in capital you will not qualify for Council Tax Support unless you are over 60 and you receive Guarantee Pension Credit. The property you live in does not count as capital.

Apply for Council Tax Support

Help with rent and living costs

Universal Credit

If you are of working age and need help with your rent and living costs, you should apply for Universal Credit from the Department for Work and Pensions:

How to claim Universal Credit (

Council Tax Discretionary Relief

We can also consider reducing your Council Tax bill on the grounds of hardship.  

Council Tax Discretionary Relief and how to apply

Advice and information

These organisations offer free advice:

The Money Advice Service 

Citizens Advice Waverley