Skip to main content

How to claim Council Tax Support

You can claim Council Tax Support if you are unemployed or on a low income and are liable to pay Council Tax for your home. How much you would be entitled to will depend on you and your household's income and circumstances.

You will not qualify for Council Tax Support if you have more than £16,000 in capital, unless you are over 60 and you receive Guarantee Pension Credit. The property you live in does not count as capital.

How to apply for Council Tax Support

Apply online:

Council Tax Support application

Please email your supporting evidence to

What happens next

Once we have all the information to assess your claim, we aim to process it within 10 working days.

The date we use for the start of your claim is the Monday after the date we receive your application form. In certain circumstances, we may be able to pay from an earlier date.

Second Adult Rebate

Second Adult Rebate can help you pay less Council Tax if you are a single pensioner.

You can claim Second Adult Rebate if there are people living in your home on a low income. The rebate is not based on the money or savings you have, but on the money other people have in your household (ie second adult)

If you wish to claim please request a Second Adult Rebate Form either via email or call 01483 523596

Find out more details on our scheme Council Tax Support Scheme Regulations