Skip to main content

Financial support for residents

This page details the latest financial support measures available to help residents living in the borough.

UPDATE: 20.2.23 

The Government announced it will continue to support households most in need with the significantly rising cost of living, by providing an additional £421m for the Household Support Fund across England. These funds were distributed to authorities to be allocated in line with Government guidance.

The Household Support Fund helps households with the cost of essentials such as food, energy and water bills and wider essentials such as clothing and white goods.

Waverley is working with local organisations to allocate the funding it received  as well as operating an application scheme. Details of how to apply to the application scheme can be found below. 

The Household Support Fund does not provide immediate emergency support for households in crisis. 

The application scheme will close once all funds have been spent or by 31 March, whichever is the sooner.  

What can I apply for?

Help is available towards:

  • Food
  • Utilities - gas, electricity and water
  • Essentials linked to energy and water such as warm clothing, boiler repair
  • Essential household appliances such as a cooker, washing machine etc
  • Essential household items such as school uniform, bedding etc

You may be asked to provide documents to support your application such as bank statements and utility bills.

Mortgage support will not be awarded. If you are having difficulties with your mortgage payments, contact your lender as soon as possible. Citizens Advice Waverley can also offer you advice if you are struggling to pay your mortgage.

Who can apply?

The Household Support Fund can provide help to individuals and families who are:

  • a household living in Waverley
  • finding it hard to pay essential household bills

How do I apply?

SCHEME CLOSED: If you live in Haslemere, Godalming, Cranleigh or any of Waverley's villages

The application scheme for residents living in Haslemere, Godalming, Cranleigh or any of Waverley's villages is now closed as these funds have been spent.  

These applications were being processed by Waverley Borough Council.

Please do not contact Farnham Town Council if you live in any of these areas as the Farnham Support Fund is only able to support Farnham residents.

If you live in Farnham

Applications are being processed by the Farnham Support Fund. 

Please visit the Farnham Support Fund page of Farnham Town Council's website for details.

Tel: 01252 712667


Privacy Notice

The Privacy Notice for the Household Support Fund explains what happens to the personal information you provide when you contact Waverley Borough Council.   

The ‘Help for Households’ campaign explains the different Government schemes available to help with the cost of living, covering new one-off payments and existing benefits and schemes, including:

Help for Households (GOV.UK)

Surrey Crisis Fund

The Surrey Crisis fund is a discretionary fund run by Surrey County Council providing financial help to Surrey residents who have nowhere else to turn in an emergency or after a disaster. It can also provide assistance to set up a home in the community where no other funds or resources are available. This is a discretionary fund run by Surrey County Council and may be able to assist with food and toiletries, certain utilities, emergency travel costs and more.  

The fund aims to support people for one occasion and signpost to long-term help to prevent ongoing need.

Visit Surrey Crisis Fund ( or call 0300 200 1008.

We can consider awarding a Discretionary Housing Payment (DHP) if there is gap between the amount of rent you must pay and the amount of housing benefit / Local Housing Allowance or Universal Credit you receive.

DHP can top-up housing benefit, but the total amount cannot be more than you pay in rent.

Find out more about the Discretionary Housing Payment and how to apply

Disabled Facilities Grants (DFG) are designed to help people with disabilities to have independence in their homes. They are available to owner-occupiers, tenants and landlords. They are mandatory up to a value of £30,000 for a range of adaptations.

To apply visit: Waverley Borough Council - Disabled Facilities Grant 

If you need help with rent or living expenses then you may qualify for Universal Credit or other benefits. 

Find out more about Universal Credit on GOV.UK

Details about other benefits on GOV.UK