Skip to main content

Home and energy costs

Surrey County Council have created a directory of financial and social support which explains the schemes that they have on offer for residents of Surrey: 

Surrey County Council directory of support

If you live in a hard-to-heat home and you are on a lower income, you might be able to claim between £10,000 to £25,000 in grant funding to improve home energy efficiency, one of the simplest ways of saving energy and combating rising energy prices. Delivered by Action Surrey, funding is available on a first-come, first-served basis to those living in a cold home and on a low income. To check if you are eligible, call Action Surrey on 0800 783 2503 or to submit an online enquiry visit: New Grant Funding Available - Action Surrey 

The Safe and Warm Grant is a discretionary grant which in certain circumstances can be given to you to pay for small, but essential, works to improve the energy efficiency or safety in your home. The grant is available for works to dwelling houses, flats and mobile homes.  

You may be eligible if you receive income related benefits such as Universal credit, Income support, Housing benefit and many more. 

To find out if you’re eligible and to apply for the Safe and Warm Grant visit: Waverley Borough Council - Safe and warm grant 

The Fuel Bank Foundation provides emergency financial support and advice to households with a prepayment meter that are in fuel crisis and at risk of living without heat this winter. 

To access their assistance visit: Home | Fuel Bank Foundation  

To help you understand and manage your energy use. Providing tailored options to help with reducing energy use, finding free or part funded schemes to make your home more energy efficient and signposting you to debt relief grants. The tool will be available at 

Grant funding of up to £20,000 or up to 40% of eligible costs is available to implement energy efficiency measures and reduce energy costs and your carbon footprint for your small or medium-sized businesses and charities. Visit: LoCASE | Low Carbon Across the South and East or email to apply.  

Social tariffs are cheaper broadband and phone packages for people claiming Universal Credit, Pension Credit and some other benefits. Some providers call them ‘essential’ or ‘basic’ broadband. 

They’re delivered in the same way as normal packages, just at a lower price. Amid rising living costs, Ofcom is encouraging companies to offer social tariffs to help customers on low incomes. 

Take a look at a list of available tariffs

If you don't have access to the internet at home, Surrey libraries have public computers with free internet access.

If you use an oxygen concentrator at home, you can get money back for the electricity it uses. 

The company that supplies your concentrator can make payments to your bank account. 

To claim, contact:

Ofgem are the energy regulator who also provide a range of information and advice.

Find out where to get help if you can’t afford your energy bills by visiting: Help with high energy bills – Ofgem website

You can also apply for benefits or schemes that could help heat your home and cut your energy costs by visiting: Save energy and reduce your bills; schemes and grants – Ofgem website

Affordable Warmth Solutions is a Community Interest Company that assists qualifying homes in the most deprived areas in England by offering: 

  • New gas connections
  • Air source heat pumps
  • Financial support for heating
  • Advice on how to save money

To see if they can help you with your energy bills visit: Welcome to Affordable Warmth Solutions » Affordable Warmth Solutions