Why do we need your personal data?
When you enquire or apply for any of our Shared Ownership properties, we will use the personal data you provide to:
- Provide you with details of the Shared Ownership properties offered for sale by Waverley Borough Council.
- Register your interest, should you wish to formally apply for a specific Waverley Shared Ownership property.
- Assess your initial eligibility for a specific Waverley Shared Ownership property before you get a Mortgage Offer in Principle confirmation letter from a Lender of your choice.
- Provide details of your Shared Ownership application, as well as details of the source of your deposit to our Legal Services Department, so they can liaise with your chosen solicitor or conveyancer.
- Once you have signed a contract to buy a property, we will create a Leaseholder Rent Account to deal manage your rent payments and your enquiries.
- Record sales details (after removing your personal details) for our statistical information, and to report anonymised details of the sale to the Government Continuous Recording of Social Housing Lettings and Sales for government research and statistical purposes.
Joint applications and enquiries
Please ensure you have consent from other applicants before you add their personal details to an application or enquiry.
Our legal reasons for processing your data for the purposes of your Shared Ownership enquiry/application are:
- You have given us your consent to process your personal date for a specific purpose.
- We need to process your personal data to fulfil or enter into a contract with you.
- Processing is necessary for compliance with a legal obligation.
Sharing your data within Waverley Borough Council
We may share information about you relating to your Shared Ownership application or expression of interest with other services in the council, in particular, our IT, Legal, Finance, Fraud Investigation Officer and Housing services.
We will use the information you have provided to create records and accounts that may be required following completion of the sale of the share of the property. For example, Leaseholder rent accounts and Council Tax.
Sharing your data with third parties
We may also share your personal data externally with third parties. These include:
- Your chosen mortgage advisor to determine your eligibility and your ability to obtain a Mortgage.
- Agents, (appointed by us), who will liaise with you and carry out an initial affordability check and then assess how to proceed. We will need to send the agent your details who will then contact you to discuss your application.
- Your chosen solicitor or conveyancer throughout the process of the sale.
- Surveyors instructed by your chosen mortgage lender to value the Shared Ownership property you want to buy a share of.
- The Ministry of Housing and Communities and Local Government via the CORE (continuous Recording) system. As a Local Authority we have an obligation to provide this information to central government to be used extensively for statistical purposes.
- Other Lawful parties, under certain circumstances, such as the Police as and when required.
How long we keep personal data
Following your online registration, should you decide to apply for a specific shared ownership property, we will remove the data provided in the initial registration form from the shared ownership register.
Once you have entered into contract on a Shared Ownership property, we will retain your personal data for 6 years after the lease has been sold/ transferred, unless we are legally required to retain this information for longer.