How we use your information
What information we use
- Email address
- Telephone number
- Payment information
- Correspondence, emails, letters
- Any information relating to your land charges application/request for services from us.
How we may collect information from you
We may collect information from you via the following methods:
- Information you have provided to us
- Via other council departments such as Planning
- Public source such as the Electoral Roll or public registers etc
- From other government agencies or departments e.g Surrey County Council Highways and Land Registry
We collect information by the following means:
- Paper correspondence
- In person (face-to-face).
Why we collect and use this information
We collect and use this information in order to:
- Register charges on the local land charges register
- Carry out a land charges search - completion of LLC1, CON29 and CON29O (collectively called searches)
- Provide copies of local land charges documents
- Make the register available for inspection by personal searchers
- Enable us to contact you about search enquiries, entries or personal searches
- Enable us to contact other departments or councils or statutory bodies about matters affecting the land the subject of the searches being made
- Administration of the local land charges register and search services.
The lawful basis on which we collect and use this information
Under the UK General Data Protection Regulations, we will collect and use this information under Article 6 (1):
- (b) - performance of a contract,
- (c) – compliance with a legal obligation
- (e) – performance of a task carried out in the public interest or in the exercise of official authority vested in the controller.
We will collect and use this information because you have requested us to carry out a local land charges search or to complete Con 29 enquiries of local authority or to facilitate a personal search being made of the registers we hold. If you do not want us to collect and use this information you should tell us but we will be unable to perform the service for you.
If we need to make a registration in the local land charges register: In this case we will not require your consent to collect and use this information because we have a proper legal basis for doing so.
How we collect information from you
- You may provide this information to us when asking us to carry out searches for you
- Third parties may provide this information to us who you use to carry out search services on your behalf
- In some cases, other council teams or councils or statutory bodies will share information with us as part of statutory function as a registration authority and we may share information with them for the same reason
- Internal services within WBC or our partner authorities, for example planning, building control, environmental health and housing, highways at Surrey County Council, may pass us information where it is necessary for us to carry out our land charges functions. For instance, having copies of grant applications for financial assistance which must be registered as a local land charge or documents with address information in them containing entries for registration on the local land charges register.
Sharing your information
We share information with:
- Other WBC departments who assist with the administration of local authority searches
- Surrey County Council as highways authority
- Land Registry.
Safeguarding your information
We will hold your data for such periods as may be necessary to deal with and administer searches or Local Authority Enquiries on Con 29 and to deal with registration of local land charges in the appropriate registers. We will not hold your data for longer than is necessary to comply with these functions.
Our main council privacy notice provides details about:
- Our ICO registration number
- How to contact our Data Protection Officer
- Our retention schedule
- Your data rights
- How to access your information (Subject Access Request)
- How to contact the ICO.