What information do we collect?
Most of the information we hold about you is provided by you and may include:
- Your address
- Telephone number
- Email address (to report or recover a vehicle)
- Record of fee payment (excluding debit/credit card details), removal, storage and destruction fees.
Why do we need this information?
- When we receive reports of an alleged abandoned vehicle
- To log registered keeper details
- For police checks
- For DVLA checks
- To issue a notice of removal
- To deal with complaints
- General correspondence between you and us on matters related to our abandoned vehicles reporting and removal service.
What is the legal basis for processing this data?
- Our legal obligation(s) under the Refuse Disposal (Amenity) Act 1978
- Necessary for the performance of a task in the public interest or in the exercise of official authority vested in us under the above legislation.
Reasons for processing
Some of the information we collect is classified as criminal convictions and offences (including alleged offences).
This is processed for reasons of substantial public interest under the laws that apply to us (see above) where this helps to meet our broader social obligations such as where it is necessary for us to fulfil our legal obligations and regulatory requirements.
Data sharing - we may share with and receive personal information from:
- Other council departments
- The police (to aid with the detection and prevention of criminal acts)
- DVLA (registered keeper details)
- The Ombudsman (when you complain about our service)
- Surrey County Council (removal of abandoned vehicles)
We may also rely on a number of exemptions, which allow us to share information without needing to comply with all the rights and obligations under the Data Protection Act 2018.
We keep your personal information for the minimum period necessary. The information outlined in this Privacy Notice will be kept for 2 years from date of case closure unless exceptional circumstances require longer retention, e.g. pending court case. All information will be held securely and disposed of confidentially.
For further information about your rights and how to complain, please see our main privacy notice.