Skip to main content

Financial support for residents

This page details the latest financial support measures available to help residents living in the borough.

Updated: 8.3.24

The Household Support Fund is currently closed as all funds for Tranche 4 (1 April 2023 to 31 March 2024) have been spent. We are no longer able to accept applications.

In his Spring Budget on 6 March, the Chancellor announced that the Household Support Fund would be extended at current levels for a further six months. The Household Support Fund is provided by the Department for Work and Pensions.

County Councils and Unitary Authorities are waiting for further details about their funding allocations and guidance for Tranche 5 of the scheme.

Once we receive further details, information about how to apply for support will be made available on this page.

Background information about the Household Support Fund

In the spring of 2022, the Government announced it would continue to support households most in need, to help with global inflationary challenges and the significantly rising cost of living, by providing an additional £842m for the Household Support Fund across England. These funds were distributed to authorities to be allocated in line with Government guidance.

The Household Support Fund helps households with the cost of essentials such as food, energy and water bills and wider essentials such as clothing and white goods.

The council allocated some funds to local organisations to directly help their service users. The remaining funds were available for Waverley residents to apply to our application-based scheme.

Privacy Notice

The Privacy Notice for the Household Support Fund explains what happens to the personal information you provide when you contact Waverley Borough Council. 

The Government's Cost of Living webpages provide an overview of support available to help with the cost of living including income and disability benefits, bills and allowances, childcare, housing and travel.

Cost of Living Support (GOV.UK)

Surrey Crisis Fund

The Surrey Crisis fund is a discretionary fund run by Surrey County Council providing financial help to Surrey residents who have nowhere else to turn in an emergency or after a disaster. It can also provide assistance to set up a home in the community where no other funds or resources are available. This is a discretionary fund run by Surrey County Council and may be able to assist with food and toiletries, certain utilities, emergency travel costs and more.  

The fund aims to support people for one occasion and signpost to long-term help to prevent ongoing need.

Visit Surrey Crisis Fund ( or call 0300 200 1008.

We can consider awarding a Discretionary Housing Payment (DHP) if there is gap between the amount of rent you must pay and the amount of housing benefit / Local Housing Allowance or Universal Credit you receive.

DHP can top-up housing benefit, but the total amount cannot be more than you pay in rent.

Find out more about the Discretionary Housing Payment and how to apply

Disabled Facilities Grants (DFG) are designed to help people with disabilities to have independence in their homes. They are available to owner-occupiers, tenants and landlords. They are mandatory up to a value of £30,000 for a range of adaptations.

To apply visit: Waverley Borough Council - Disabled Facilities Grant 

If you need help with rent or living expenses then you may qualify for Universal Credit or other benefits. 

Find out more about Universal Credit on GOV.UK

Details about other benefits on GOV.UK