Skip to main content

Tenant alteration requests

You need to apply for permission before carrying out any type of improvements to your council home. Examples include:

  • putting up a satellite dish 
  • replacing a kitchen 
  • changing the electric fittings. 

Tenant alteration online form

You don't need permission to decorate your home, or carry out minor improvements such as tiling or putting up shelving unless you have asbestos in your home. If you think you have asbestos in your home please complete the tenant alteration online form. 

Asbestos guide

Please include any home decorations in your insurance, just in case they get damaged. If we damage your decorations while working in your home, we will fix the affected area. 

If you are disabled or have serious health issues we may be able to adapt your home so you can live in it safely and independently. 

Aids and adaptations

If you have carried out any home improvements without seeking our written permission first, or had our permission but did not carry out the improvements as agreed, we may have to put the property back to how it was. This may be for health and safety reasons or because the works do not comply with other regulations. You will have to reimburse us for any costs we incur for doing this, so please get permission in writing first and make sure you are clear in telling us what improvements you want to make.