Skip to main content

Aids and adaptations

Please note the message below for all aids and adaptation requests:

For existing requests:

Please be aware we are currently experiencing a high number of requests for aids and adaptations, so our staff are taking longer than usual to respond. Please bare with us whilst we work through all the requests we have received. If we take a little longer to get back to you than normal, we apologise but hope you understand.

For new requests:

New requests submitted after 1 February 2024 will be added to our waiting list and will be dealt with as soon as we are able. Please be aware funds for the 2023/24 tax year has now been exhausted. We will continue to work on new request, but it may take a little longer than usual to get back to you. Please be patient, we will be in touch as soon as we can.

You can apply for adaptations to your home

  • to remain independent
  • if you or a family member have a disability.

You do not need to be registered as disabled to apply.  

Aids and adaptations application form

Minor changes can include:

  • taps
  • handrails
  • half steps.  

Major changes can include:

  • fitting bathrooms to suit your needs
  • installing ramps. 

Once you have applied online, an officer contacts you to check your details and discuss options. 

If eligible for minor changes to your home, we will send you a letter approving the adaptations. We will aim for the work will be completed within 30 days. 

For major changes to your home, we will pass your application to Surrey County Council's Social Care team. They will call you to complete a telephone assessment. 

An occupational therapist (OT) from Surrey County Council may make an appointment to come and see you in your home and assess your personal needs. There may be a waiting list for this. Once the OT assessment is completed, they will send us a report so that we can decide. 

You will receive a letter confirming the major changes we plan to your home. We may need to consult a specialist to ensure that the changes are structurally possible.

We will ask you to complete an application form. For minor changes we will then carry out an assessment. 

For major changes an occupational therapist from Surrey County Council carries out this assessment and sends us recommendations. 

We will then decide whether your home is suitable for the changes required.

If your home is not suitable for the changes it may be more practical to carry out the adaptations to another property and for you to move home. If you don't want to move, we may only be able to carry out minor changes. 

You must ask us if you plan on making changes to your home

Tenant alteration request

We also consider changes to areas outside of your home

Each case is looked into individually. You should still apply even if you have rent arrears. 

We cover the costs for any changes which have been assessed and approved.

More information

Please call Waverley's Customer Services Centre on 01483 523054 or Waverley Social Care on 0300 200 1005