Skip to main content

Subject Access Request (SAR)

If you wish to access personal information that we may hold about you, either on paper or electronically, you can make a Subject Access Request. You can also ask us to allow others to see your record. 

Please note that we can't let you see any parts of your record which contain:

  • confidential information about other people
  • data we think will cause serious harm to you or someone else's physical or mental wellbeing
  • information that may stop us preventing or detecting a crime.

Make a Subject Access Request

Make a Subject Access Request (SAR) online

You can also write to: Data Protection Officer, Waverley Borough Council, The Burys, Godalming, GU7 1HR or email


There is usually no charge for a Subject Access Request.

However, we may charge a reasonable administration fee where a request is manifestly unfounded or excessive.

Proof of identity

In line with other agency arrangements, and guidance from the Information Commissioner’s Office (ICO), we are currently able to accept scanned / photo versions of the same by email or as an alternative, a photocopy by post. We would not recommend that you send originals of any of the documents referred to by post but if you do, we suggest that you use recorded mail. If sending by email, you may wish to utilise a secure email service, such as Egress, which allows for encryption and can be set up free of charge – details of how to set up an account can be found here.

This is the process we would recommend. However, if you prefer, you may bring evidence of identification to the Council offices at The Burys, Godalming, GU7 1HR or the Farnham Memorial Hall at Babbs Mead, Farnham, GU9 7EE.

Acceptable forms of ID include:

  • a copy of your passport OR DVLA photo driving licence

AND one of the following:

  • an electricity bill
  • a gas bill
  • a council tax bill
  • any other bill in your full name

Please note that any bill that you provide must be less than 6 months old.

Once your identity has been verified, and you have provided clarification (where appropriate) we will process your request and locate your data. We have one calendar month once verification is confirmed/clarification is provided to respond to your request.

More information

Find out more about right of access to your personal data (ICO)