Skip to main content

Frequently asked questions

My bill shows that I am paying by Direct Debit - do I need to do anything? 

No - we will contact your bank with the instruction that Waverley already holds.

I want to pay by Direct Debit - what do I need to do? 

The easiest way to pay your Council Tax is by Direct Debit online through the Waverley Portal.  

Register or log in to the Waverley Portal 

Can I pay by 12 instalments?

Council Tax is usually paid over 10 months from April to January.  You can arrange to pay over 12 months.  Please register for the Waverley Portal below to manage your Council Tax payments.

Register or log in to the Waverley Portal 

I'm struggling to pay my Council Tax, what can I do? 

For further information and advice please see:

Help when struggling to pay Council Tax

I'm struggling to pay my bill, can I get any benefits to help me pay it?

You may be entitled to receive Council Tax Support if you are unemployed or on a low income:

Find out about claiming Council Tax Support

How much Council Tax will I pay?

See a full breakdown:

Council Tax charges for 2023/2024

What does my Council Tax pay for?

We work together with Surrey County Council, Surrey Police and Crime Commissioner and towns and parishes to provide local services and amenities in Waverley.

See a full breakdown of what your Council Tax pays for:

Council Tax information 2023/2024

Can you tell me more about Surrey County Council's portion of the bill?

See further information:

Surrey County Council's Council Tax explained

I want to apply for a single person discount, what do I need to do?

If you are the only adult, or the only counted adult, living in a property, you can claim a 25% discount on your Council Tax bill.

You can apply online through the Waverley Portal.

Register for the Waverley Portal and apply for a Single Person Discount

I want to apply for other discounts such as empty homes, what do I need to do?

Please see:

Council Tax discounts and exemptions 

Still unable to find what you are looking for?

Call us on 01483 523500 or email: