Skip to main content

Help if you're struggling to pay Council Tax and claiming Council Tax Support

Are you struggling to make payments?

You usually pay your Council Tax bill in instalments over 10 months.

This is a difficult and uncertain time for many of us.  If you're struggling to pay your Council Tax or need to talk to us about a temporary change to your payments, we can help.

Contact the Council Tax team immediately to discuss your situation.  We will consider each request on a case-by-case basis and try to adapt the solution to best fit your needs.

Tel: 01483 523511


Apply for help with your Council Tax

If you need help paying your Council Tax you may be able to get Council Tax Support. If you get Universal Credit, this doesn't cover Council Tax so you'll need to claim Council Tax support separately.

It is important that you claim Council Tax Support as soon as you need help, as claims are not usually backdated.  

If you have more than £16,000 in capital you will not qualify for Council Tax Support unless you are over 60 and you receive Guarantee Pension Credit. The property you live in does not count as capital.

Apply for Council Tax Support

Council Tax Discretionary Relief

We can also consider reducing your Council Tax bill on the grounds of hardship.  

Council Tax Discretionary Relief and how to apply

Advice and information

These organisations offer free advice:

The Money Advice Service 

Citizens Advice Waverley