Skip to main content

Emergencies in Waverley

Emergency contact numbers for Waverley

During opening hours (weekdays between 8:45am and 5:15pm (4.45pm on Fridays): 01483 523333

Out of hours: 01483 523200 

Emergency repairs for tenants:  If you are a Waverley housing tenant, the emergency housing repairs page provides contact information.

Crime / Police

In an emergency please dial 999, or 101 to report crime and other concerns that do not require an emergency response. For further information please access the Surrey Police website.


If you think there is a blockage or if your property has been flooded by a public sewer contact Thames Water on 0800 316 9800.


If your home has a total loss of electric power and your neighbours still seem to have power, you should contact your electricity supplier.

Power cuts or hazards near electricity lines

If you suffer a power cut in your area or to report a potential hazard on or near overhead electricity lines, please call 105 for free. Visit Power Cut 105 website for further information.

Need to find a trusted electrician?

The Buy With Confidence website, run by Trading Standards, helps you to find good, honest and local businesses, and to avoid the risk of using a rogue trader.


In an emergency fire situation, please dial 999. For further information please access the Surrey Fire and Rescue website.


Up to date information on flooding in your area is available from the Environment Agency or call Floodline on 0345 988 1188.

Flooding: planning, managing and recovering from a flood ( contains advice on planning for flooding before it happens, what to do during a flood and recovering and cleaning up after a flood.

There is no statutory requirement for Waverley Borough Council to provide sandbags or prevent a property from flooding. Residents and business owners are responsible for protecting their properties and should make plans in advance of a flood. Sandbags can be purchased at builders' merchants and sandbag alternatives, such as Floodsax, can be purchased online.

We will provide sandbags to vulnerable residents and WBC tenants. A person will be considered to be vulnerable if they are unable to help themselves.


If you can smell gas, are worried you have a gas leak or that fumes containing carbon monoxide are leaking from one of your appliances, please see National Grid Gas Safety and Emergencies or call their free phone number: 0800 111 999.

In such situations, do not create a flame or operate any electrical switches and appliances such as lights, televisions etc. You should put out flames, open doors and windows, keep people away from the area and turn the gas off at the control valve.

For further information, please see guidance on contacting the gas emergency line.

If your home has a total loss of gas supply you should contact your supplier.

Medical / NHS

Medical Emergency, NHS 111 service - call 111 when it's less urgent than 999.

Roads and traffic

The latest traffic updates are available from the Traffic England website. For information on roadworks and road closures check the Surrey County Council's roadworks map.


Samaritans - provides confidential non-judgemental emotional support, 24 hours a day for people who are experiencing feelings of distress or despair, including those which could lead to suicide. 

Trees on Roads

Report trees blocking roads and pavements to Surrey County Council or 03456 009 009.

Report trees blocking motorways to the Highways England or call 0300 123 5000.

Trees on Waverley properties or land

Report fallen trees on council tenant properties, council owned senior living accommodation(sheltered housing), parks and commons to Waverley Borough Council on 01483 523394.

If it's not an emergency, you can report tree issues online.

Water supply

If your home has a total loss of water supply, contact the supplier you pay your water bill to.  In Waverley, it's likely to be:

Need to find a trusted plumber? The Buy With Confidence website, run by Trading Standards, helps you to find good, honest and local businesses, and to avoid the risk of using a rogue trader.

What is an Emergency defined as?

An event or situation which threatens serious damage to human welfare in a place in the UK, the environment of a place in the UK, or war or terrorism which threatens serious damage to the security of the UK.

Civil Contingencies Act 2004

The Civil Contingencies Act, and accompanying non-legislative measures, delivers a single framework for civil protection in the UK. 

The Act is separated into 2 substantive parts: local arrangements for civil protection (Part 1); and emergency powers (Part 2).

Part 1

Part 1 of the act and supporting regulations and statutory guidance establish a clear set of roles and responsibilities for those involved in emergency preparation and response at the local level. The act divides local responders into 2 categories, imposing a different set of duties on each.

Category 1 are organisations at the core of the response to most emergencies, as a local authority Waverley falls under this category.

One duty specific to local authorities, and therefore Waverley Borough Council, is to provide advice and assistance to businesses and voluntary organisations about business continuity management.

Part 2

Part 2 of the act updates the 1920 Emergency Powers Act. It allows for the making of temporary special legislation (emergency regulations) to help deal with the most serious of emergencies.

In Waverley

We have an emergency planning team at Waverley to carry out our duties under the Civil Contingencies Act 2004.



Across Surrey

Waverley Borough Council is a member of Surrey's Local Resilience Forum. This is a multi-agency partnership made up of all emergency responders active in Surrey. It allows for members to achieve their multi-agency working duties under the Civil Contingencies Act effectively.

Surrey’s community risk register

The community risk register allows you to see all risks and threats to Surrey, their likelihood and potential magnitude as well as planned mitigation for them.

Surrey Prepared

Surrey Prepared was developed by the Surrey Community Resilience Partnership (SCRP) with a commitment to helping Surrey residents and businesses to be as prepared and resilient as possible.

Find out more on the Surrey Prepared website.