Skip to main content

Listed buildings

Waverley has around 1700 listed buildings, recognised nationally for their special architectural and historic interest. These include houses, walls, memorials, bridges and many other types of structures.


The National Heritage List for England is maintained by Historic England and catalogues all the listed buildings in England.

List entries are usually brief and only describe the building for identification purposes. They should not be relied upon for a detailed assessment of the special interest of the building.

Please visit Historic England's Understanding List Entries page for more details 

The National Heritage List for England

Listed buildings are designated heritage assets that are listed by the Secretary of State for Digital, Culture, Media and Sport (DCMS), as advised by Historic England. This provides a statutory protection status on the building and its setting, allowing its special architectural and historic interest to be preserved. Having listed buildings helps us acknowledge and understand our shared history and also brings it under the consideration of the planning system so that some thought will be taken about its future. 

Listed buildings are split into three grades; I, II* and II. This is an indication of their special interest in a national context.

Is the whole building listed?

Yes, the listing covers the entire building (inside and out) including any modern extensions as well as any pre-1948 buildings in the grounds (termed curtilage structures). Such structures may include boundary walls, outbuildings and garden ornaments.

Yes, appropriate changes can be made to a listed building however, you may need to apply for planning permission and/or listed building consent first.

Applications for both planning permission and listed building consent can be made online through the planning portal.

Planning Permission

Listed buildings do not have the same permitted development rights as unlisted buildings and you may require planning permission for certain works. This includes any alteration to a boundary wall/means of enclosure, the erection of any outbuilding, the installation of solar panels and more.

Listed Building Consent

Listed Building Consent  is required for any alteration or demolition that affects the special character of a listed building. This can include curtilage listed structures. There is no simple guide to what this comprises because the judgement must be made in each case based on the significance of the listed building.

Please see Historic England's advice note for information on what common works require Listed Building Consent. If this document does not provide confirmation of whether Listed Building Consent will be required for your proposed works, we are able to provide formal confirmation of whether works will require Listed Building Consent via our heritage pre-application advice service.


As an owner of a listed building you are encouraged to keep it in good repair. Repairs should be consistent with conserving the historic fabric of the building using appropriate materials.

Listed Building Consent is not required for like-for like repairs using appropriate materials and techniques but it may be required for major repairs.

For advice on repair works please use our heritage pre-application advice service.

Our Heritage team can advise on any proposal affecting a listed building and whether it would require listed building consent. Many find this useful before drawing up detailed plans or buying a listed building. You can also request joint advice for your planning application as well. 

Please see our pre-application advice page for further details.

It is an offence, liable to prosecution, to alter or demolish listed building in a way that affects its special character without first obtaining Listed Building Consent. The penalties on conviction are heavy.

If unauthorised works are unsympathetic to a listed building, we can take enforcement action. This may require a building to be restored to its former state, or specify action designed to alleviate the effect of those works done without Listed Building Consent.

If you purchase a property with unauthorised works, you become liable for any listed building enforcement action in connection with the unauthorised works. You are recommended to check if any works have been undertaken before purchasing the property.

Applications for listed building consent can be made online through the planning portal.

We do not provide financial help for any development relating to listed buildings. However, you may be able to receive financial help from other organisations. This includes:

Other bodies also provide advice and information about listed buildings. These include:

Historic England

A public body that helps people care for, enjoy and celebrate England's historic environment. Their website has a whole range of advice for homeowners and professionals which includes:

Society for the Protection of Ancient Buildings (SPAB)

This group provides courses, advice and research on conserving and caring for historic buildings, including:

Sustainable Traditional Building Alliance (STBA)

An alliance of the UK's leading organisations associated with the conservation and improvement of traditional buildings which aims to develop policy, guidance and training to minimise risks and maximise benefits to traditional buildings and their owners.

Institute of Historic Building Conservation (IHBC)

The IHBC is the professional body for building conservation practitioners and historic environment experts working in England which provides guidance and research, including the below.  

Surrey History Centre

This is the Historic Environment Record (HER) for Surrey, it holds records for the county such as maps, photographs, parish registers, sales particulars and archaeology.  

Energy Performance Certificates (EPC)

As part of our pre-application advice service we can advise whether specific recommendations to improve an EPC rating would unacceptably alter the character or appearance of a building (by ascertaining whether listed building consent is required and if it is likely to gain permission). 

We cannot provide advice on whether your property is exempt from requiring an EPC. Please see Historic England's advice on Energy Performance Regulations for more information.