Skip to main content

Student exemption or discount for Council Tax

You may be able to get a Council Tax discount or exemption if you are a full-time student.

  • If everyone at the property is a student, the property is exempt. This means there is nothing to pay, but you must still apply.  Please see guidance below.
  • If one household member (over 18) isn't a student, the property can't be exempt. The non-student is responsible for the bill.
  • If two or more household members (over 18) aren't students there is no exemption, but there may be a reduction. See other reasons for discounts and exemptions

When you can't get a Council Tax exemption

If one person in the property is not a student you can't get a student Council Tax exemption.

For example, if five people live in a house or flat, four are full-time students and one isn't, the property wouldn't be eligible for a Student Council Tax exemption.

However, the non-student would be eligible for a single person discount as the remaining students are disregarded for Council Tax purposes.

Full-time student?

You are classed as a full-time student for Council Tax purposes if:

  • you are 18 or over and at college, university or similar
  • your course lasts at least 24 weeks in the year, and
  • it involves at least 21 hours of study a week.
  • you are also classed as a full-time student if you are 18 or 19 and on a non-advanced course like A-levels that lasts at least three months and involves at least 12 hours of study a week.

Please note:

  • Your college or university must be in the UK or the European Union, you don't have to attend; you can be engaged in Distance Learning as long as you meet the other student criteria.
  • You must live in the UK.

Proof of student status

You will need to prove that you are a student when you apply for a student Council Tax exemption. Please request a certificate of student status from your college or university and include this with your application.

University of Creative Arts (UCA) students in Farnham

If you're studying at UCA you can request a council tax letter on their website. Please ensure your housemates also do this. See proof of enrolment letters on UCA's website for more information.

Apply for student discount

More information

Find out more about Discounts for full-time students ( - opens new tab)