Skip to main content

Council Tax reduction for disabilities

If you, or someone who lives with you, needs an extra room or extra space in your home because of a disability, you may qualify for a reduction in your Council Tax bill.

Reduction available

If you qualify for a reduction your bill will be calculated by treating the dwelling as if it were in the band immediately below that shown in the valuation list.  For example, a Band "D" property would receive a bill equivalent to Band "C".  For a Band A property the reduction is equivalent to one ninth of band D.

Do you qualify?

To qualify, the property will be the disabled person's sole or main home.

It should also have:

  • an extra bathroom or kitchen, or
  • sufficient space inside the property to allow for wheelchair circulation, or
  • a room other than a bathroom, kitchen or lavatory to ensure the wellbeing of the disabled person.

Evidence to support your application

When you apply for this reduction you may wish to submit a note from a doctor, or other qualified professional such as an occupational therapist or social worker, which confirms that the disabled person needs the extra space or room.  However, a Property Inspector will visit the property to confirm the details you have supplied.

Apply online

If you qualify for the discount, based on the criteria above, please fill in the:

Disability reduction form

More information

If you require any help in completing the form please contact the Council Tax team on 01483 523500 or email