Skip to main content

Brexit and the Transition period

Brexit in Waverley

The borough of Waverley is home to many diverse communities, including more than 2,600 EU residents.

All our residents contribute to making Waverley the unique and special place that it is. We want all of our EU family, friends, neighbours and colleagues to remain here and to continue to thrive.

From 1 January 2021 there are changes that affect residents and businesses, as well as travel to and from the EU.

Advice for businesses

Visit our UK Transition information for businesses page to get advice and support on how your business can prepare for Brexit.

Travelling to Europe

From 1 January 2021 there will be new rules to travel to the EU, or to Switzerland, Norway, Iceland or Liechtenstein.

Check what you need to do to travel to Europe from 2021.

Staying in the UK if you’re an EU citizen

You need to apply to the EU settlement scheme if you or your family are from the EU, or from Switzerland, Norway, Iceland or Liechtenstein.

The scheme is free.  You can check if you’re eligible.

You will need to apply again when you’re changing your pre-settled status for settled status.

The deadline for applications is 30 June 2021 but you must be resident in the UK before 31 December 2020 to be eligible for the scheme, so you are strongly advised to apply as soon as possible. You can check what you’ll need before you apply.

Apply Now

Continue living and working in the EU

Living and working in an EU country depends on the rules in that country.

You may need to register or apply for residency. You should check that you’re covered for healthcare.

You may also need to exchange your UK driving licence for a licence issued by the EU country where you live.

Check what you must do in the country where you live.

Travelling to the EU

From 1 January 2021, if you’re travelling to Europe, then you will need to think about:

More information

You can sign up to get email alerts about travel after Brexit from the UK government.