If you suspect a vehicle has been abandoned, please check to see if it has road tax and MOT by entering the registration number and make on gov.uk.
Check if a vehicle is taxed and has MOT - gov.uk
If it has road tax, MOT and there are no parking restrictions where it is parked on the road, we probably won't be able to treat it as an abandoned vehicle.
What is an abandoned vehicle?
An abandoned vehicle:
- has no registered keeper on DVLA's database and is untaxed
- has been stationary for a significant amount of time
- is burnt out and owner is not known locallhy
- is significantly damaged, run down or unroadworthy, for example, has flat tyres, missing wheels or broken windows
- the number plates are missing.
How to report an abandoned vehicle
||What to do
|Untaxed vehicle on a public road
||Report an untaxed vehicle on gov.uk
|Vehicle registered as off the road (SORN and on a public road
Report an untaxed vehicle on gov.uk
|Abandoned vehicle on private land - includes private land that is accessible and open to the public
1. try to find the owner through the DVLA: Request information about a vehicle or its registered keeper from DVLA
2. call the police on 101 to see if they're interested in the vehicle, for example if it's stolen
3. Use our online form to Report an abandoned vehicle online.
You need to tell us:
- Your name and address
- Information about the vehicle - registration number, make, model, colour]
- Where the vehicle is abandoned
- What actions you have taken so far
You can also call us on 01483 523524
|Vehicle is blocking a public road or footpath
||Call the police on 101
|Vehicle is on fire or being vandalised
||Call the police on 999
|Vehicle is parked double yellow lines or double parked
Contact Guildford Borough Council parking team - they are responsible for the enforcement of yellow lines and other formal parking restrictions on roads in Waverley:
Call: 01483 505050
What happens after you report an abandoned vehicle to us
- try to contact the owner
- leave a notice on the vehicle for 15 days, warning it'll be removed if no one claims it
- remove it after this time - we will take it to the compound or destroy it.