Skip to main content

Dangerous structures and buildings

We will investigate reports of dangerous buildings or structures.  Examples include:

  • unstable walls
  • loose tiles on roofs and
  • buildings damaged by fire or a crash. 

If you are concerned about a building, get in touch and report it.  Other problems should be reported to the relevant team.

Report a dangerous structure or building

Report a dangerous structure online

A building control surveyor will assess your report and, where relevant, make a site inspection to assess the danger.  They will contact the property owner if necessary.  

We will pass reports that we can't resolve to the relevant team or authority e.g. roads, pavements or man hole covers  would be Surrey County Council, council housing issues would go to our Housing team.

Buildings or structures may become dangerous over a long period, eg by being overloaded or through neglect. If this is the case, the local authority may apply to a magistrates' court to make an order requiring the owner to remove the danger.

When emergency measures are required, eg when a vehicle has crashed into a building, and we can't contact the owner of the building or structure, we may have to remove the immediate danger, such as putting up temporary fencing or scaffolding.  We will then recover the costs of these works from the owner.

Problems on roads or pavements

Surrey County Council deal with a number of highways problems. These include highway verge/grass cutting, potholes, fallen trees blocking the road, broken drains, structural issues with bridges etc. 

Report a highway issue on the Surrey County Council website

Burst pipes or water mains

Please contact Thames Water or Southern Water depending on the area.

Report an issue in our play parks or Council owned land.

Our Parks and Countryside team maintain the following:

  •     playgrounds, skateparks, ball courts
  •     some sports pitches, changing rooms, recreation grounds and toilets
  •     paths, bins, benches, ditches and culverts in parks

To report an issue, email: or call the team on 01483 523394