Skip to main content

Report council housing fraud

Council housing fraud

We need to ensure our council homes are occupied by tenants who genuinely need a home and have the right to be there.  

Are you aware of someone in a council home who:

  • rents it out without permission?
  • got the home by providing false information?
  • is permanently living somewhere else (someone else may be living at the property or it may just be empty)?
  • has moved out and is renting it to someone else (sub-letting)?
  • is living in a property after someone has died without the right to do so?

If so, they may be guilty of housing fraud. 

They are using valuable housing accommodation depriving families and vulnerable people on the waiting list of a home.

Subletting is a criminal offence

Under the Prevention of Social Housing Fraud Act 2013, subletting a council home without permission is a criminal offence. Any Waverley tenant found guilty of subletting their property could face a two year prison sentence and a fine of up to £50,000.

What you can do?

If you suspect someone of housing tenancy fraud, please report it to us so we can investigate:

Report suspected fraud online

You will need to give your personal details when you submit the form online.

You can also you can leave a message on our confidential Report it line: 01483 523586, providing as much detail as possible so we can fully investigate.

Housing benefit fraud

If you suspect someone of committing benefit fraud, please report it on

Report benefit fraud