Skip to main content

Register to vote

You only need to register to vote once.  You do not need to register for each election.

You must register again if you’ve changed address.

Who can register to vote?

You must be aged 16 or over - you can vote when you’re 18 or over.

You must also be one of the following:

  • a British citizen living in Waverley
  • an Irish or EU citizen living in Waverley
  • a Commonwealth citizen who has permission to enter or stay in the UK, or who does not need permission, living in Waverley

Register to vote online

Register on the website, it only takes a few minutes:

Register to vote online

Application received by Added to the register
Friday 11 December 2020 Monday 4 January 2021
Friday 8 January 2021 Monday 1 February 2021
Friday 5 February 2021 Monday 1 March 2021
Wednesday 10 March 2021 Thursday 1 April 2021
Monday 12 April 2021 Tuesday 4 May 2021
Monday 10 May 2021 Tuesday 1 June 2021
Wednesday 9 June 2021 Thursday 1 July 2021
Friday 9 July 2021 Monday 2 August 2021
Tuesday 10 August 2021 Wednesday 1 September 2021
Monday 13 December 2021 Tuesday 4 January 2022


If you are a British citizen living abroad and meet one of the requirements below, you can apply to register as an overseas voter in Waverley.

  • You were registered to vote in Waverley, within the last 15 years, or
  • If you were too young to register when you left the UK, you can still register if your parent/guardian was registered to vote in Waverley, within the last 15 years.

Register to vote online

Which elections can I vote in?

An overseas voter can only vote in UK Parliamentary (General) elections.

What happens after I submit my application?

  • Your application will be automatically acknowledged by email and this will include a reference number.
  • We will process your application and will send an email or written letter of confirmation if your application has been successful.
  • If your application is unsuccessful, we will write to you with details on how you can resolve this.

How do I vote if I live abroad?

You will need to setup a postal vote or a proxy vote (appointing someone else to vote on your behalf).

We strongly recommend that your appoint someone to vote on your behalf.

Due to the nature of an electoral timetable, the window to send postal ballot papers is very tight. If you are applying for a postal ballot paper, please do so as far in advance as possible, to enable us to issue them with enough time for them to reach you, and be returned by polling day.

Please download, complete and return a scanned copy of your proxy vote application or postal vote application to: or return via post to Electoral Services, Council Offices, The Burys, Godalming, Surrey, GU7 1HR

Renewing your overseas registration

All overseas voters are required to renew their registration annually.  We will send you a renewal form three months before your registration is due to expire via email or post.

If we do not receive a response, your overseas registration will be cancelled and your details removed from the electoral register.

If you are a student, you may be able to register at both your home address and your term-time address.

National polls are considered as one election, but local elections are considered as separate elections.

You can only vote once in a national poll, such as a general election. This means you can choose if you want to vote at your home address or at your term-time address.

Register to vote online

Not all councils hold elections at the same time, but if that is the case, registering for a postal vote at one of the addresses will make it easier to vote in both areas.

You can still register to vote even if you do not have a fixed address in Waverley. This could be because

  • you are homeless or have no fixed address
  • you are a patient in a mental health hospital
  • you are a person who has been remanded in custody, but you have not yet been convicted of an offence.

Address to use when you register

To register, you need to give an address where:

  • you would be living if it were not for your current situation, or
  • you have lived in the past.

If you are homeless, you can give details of where you spend a substantial part of your time.

How to register to vote

Download a Register to vote if you haven't got a fixed or permanent address form and fill it in.

If you are concerned about your name and address appearing on the electoral register for your safety or the safety of someone in the same household as you, then you can apply to register to vote anonymously.

Reasons for registering anonymously include:

  • escaping domestic violence, or
  • keeping your identity private because of your occupation.

Bear in mind that if you do register anonymously, you may find it difficult to prove your identity and to obtain credit and financial facilities, as your name will not appear on the electoral register provided to credit reference agencies.

How to register to vote

Download a Register to vote anonymously form and fill it in.

  • Email a scanned copy, along with supporting evidence, to, or
  • Post it to Electoral Services, Waverley Borough Council, The Burys, Godalming, Surrey, GU7 1HR

More information

For more information about anonymous registration please contact the Electoral Services team on or 01483 523116.

If you're not sure if you've registered, please contact the Electoral Services Team by email: or telephone: 01483 523116.