What are the changes?
Changes to absent voting include:
- Political parties and campaigners will be banned from handling postal votes
- There will be a limit to the number of postal votes a person can hand in at a polling station
- Postal voters will need to make a fresh application every three years, instead of the five-yearly signature refresh
- Electors will only be allowed to act as proxy for up to four people, of which no more than two can be "domestic electors" - i.e. not overseas voters
- Postal or proxy voting applications will include a requirement for the applicant's identity to be verified.
When will these apply?
The changes are expected to be in place for the May 2024 Police and Crime Commissioner elections.