Extension of licensing for landlords and letting agents

Published Thursday, 13 September 2018

From 1 October 2018, licensing of houses in multiple occupation (HMOs) will cover all properties occupied by five or more people, regardless of the size of the property.

An HMO is a house occupied by unrelated individuals or couples and includes student or shared houses.

Landlords currently need an HMO licence if the property has three storeys or more and is occupied by five or more people.

The national change has been introduced to extend the scope of licensing to provide safer housing standards for private tenants whilst targeting rogue landlords. 

Minimum room sizes

Minimum room sizes have also been introduced.

These include a minimum floor area of:
  • 6.51 square metres for any bedroom occupied by a single adult
  • 10.22 square metres for any bedroom occupied by a couple.

There will be several properties throughout Waverley that will need to be licensed.

More information and apply for a licence

HMO Licensing

We use cookies to improve your experience. By viewing our content you are accepting the use of cookies. Read about cookies we use.