Skip to main content

Disabled Facilities and Safe & Warm Grants Privacy Notice

The following information explains how and why we use your personal data.

Data Controller

Waverley Borough Council is registered as a Data Controller with the Information Commissioner's Office (ICO). Our registration number is Z5031756.

What information is collected?

  • Contact details (including telephone numbers and email address)
  • ID (including NI number, birth certificate, passport, marriage certificate)
  • Sensitive personal data (including race, sex, religion, medical, criminal history)
  • Financial data (including income, savings, benefits)
  • Immigration status (based on entitlement to benefits within the UK)

What is the legal basis for processing personal data?

  • Contract – processing of your data is necessary to the performance of a contract to which you are a party, or to take steps at your request prior to entering into a contract
  • Public Task – the Council carries out the assessment and administration of grant applications as a Public Task carried out in the Public Interest to assess if you meet the eligibility criteria to qualify for a Disabled Facilities Grant or Safe and Warm Grant.

We need the information you provide to carry out our duties under

  • Housing Grants, Construction and Regeneration Act 1996
  • Regulatory Reform (Housing Assistance) (England & Wales) Order 2002

We may also need to process special category data (Article 9), such as medical and health data. The lawful basis for processing special category data is:

  • A9) g) Reasons of substantial public interest (with a basis in law as above).

       Condition 16 - Support for individuals with a particular disability or medical condition.

  • Health or social care (with a basis in law as above).

       Schedule 1 Part 1 (2) - health or social care purposes.

Why do we need your personal information?

We may need to use some information about you to:

  • Determine and progress grant applications
  • Deliver services and support to you
  • Manage those services we provide to you
  • Train and manage the employment of our workers who deliver those services
  • Help investigate any worries or complaints you have about our services
  • Keep track of spending on services
  • Check the quality of services
  • Help with research and planning of new services.

Sharing and protecting your information

We will only collect and use personal information for the reason it was provided and for no other purpose. The Council will not share any of the information that it holds about you with any third party, unless you have given your written consent, or if otherwise this is permitted by law. We will not share data with third-parties for marketing purposes.

We might need to share data with:

  • Internal departments
  • Local and county authorities (education, social care, children and relevant housing and employment and other services)
  • Central Government
  • Other third-party organisations, as allowed by law
  • Other partner agencies that provide services on our behalf
  • Agencies with whom we have a duty to co-operate, such as the police
  • Housing Associations
  • Benefits Agency
  • HM Court Services
  • Health authority, general practitioners.

How long will we store your personal information?

Where the grant applicant has made a financial contribution towards the cost of the works, we will retain this information for 10 years from date of last payment of grant so this can be taken into account for any further adaptations. Where a local land charge has been placed on a property, we will hold this information until the charge has been paid or up to a maximum of 10 years. In all other cases we will retain this information for 6 years from the date of completion.

What rights do you have?

The General Data Protection Regulations give you several rights to control the personal information we process and how we use it. You can find further details on our main Privacy Notice.

How can I access the information you hold about me?

To request information that we hold about you please visit our Subject Access Request (SAR) page or contact us via an email to or in writing to the Data Protection Officer, Waverley Borough Council, The Burys, Godalming, Surrey GU7 1HR.