Skip to main content

Financial support for residents

This page details the latest financial support measures available to help residents living in the borough.

In its Spring Statement 2022, the Government announced it would be providing an additional £350m for the Household Support Fund to help the most vulnerable households with the cost of essentials such as food, clothing and utilities. These funds were distributed to Councils across the country to be allocated in line with Government guidance.

Waverley are working with local organisations to allocate the funding received and details of how to apply to the scheme are below. If you have a question about how to apply, please note that contact telephone numbers vary dependent on where you live. Please do not contact the council’s main telephone number. 

Applications are being processed as quickly as possible. Applications from households in certain areas of the borough are now closed. Please check below. 

A high number of applications are being recieved which means that it may take up to two weeks from your application being received to us contacting you to let you know the outcome of your application or to ask for additional information to support your application.

The scheme will close once all funds have been spent.  

Pensioners in receipt of Council Tax Benefit

As part of the government’s Household Support Fund framework, the council has developed its own local scheme to support pensioners in receipt of Council Tax Benefit.  The council has written to identified pensioners who are eligible for a one-off payment of £80 from the Household Support Fund to help towards their household bills. 

Those who are eligible will receive a letter from Waverley.  

What can I apply for?

Help is available towards:

  • Food
  • Utilities - gas, electricity and water
  • Essentials linked to energy and water such as warm clothing, boiler repair
  • Essential household appliances such as a cooker, washing machine etc
  • Essential household items such as school uniform, bedding etc

Mortgage support will not be awarded. If you are having difficulties with your mortgage payments, contact your lender as soon as possible. Citizens Advice Waverley can also offer you advice if you are struggling to pay your mortgage.

Who can apply?

The Household Support Fund can provide help to individuals and families who are:

  • facing immediate financial difficulties
  • a household living in Waverley
  • struggling to pay essential household bills

How do I apply?

If you live in Farnham

Applications are being processed by the Farnham Support Fund. 

Please visit their website, Farnham Support Fund for details. 

Tel: 01252 712667


If you live in Haslemere

Applications are being processed by Haslemere Town Council. 

Please visit their website, Haslemere Town Council for details.

Tel: 01428 654305


If you live in Godalming - APPLICATIONS CLOSED

Applications are now closed and all funds have been allocated.

If you live in Cranleigh - APPLICATIONS CLOSED

Applications are now closed and all funds have been allocated.

If you live in any of Waverley’s villages - APPLICATIONS CLOSED

Applications are now closed and all funds have been allocated.

Privacy Notice

The Privacy Notice for the Household Support Fund explains what happens to the personal information you provide when you contact Waverley Borough Council.   

Surrey Crisis Fund

The Surrey Crisis fund is a discretionary fund run by Surrey County Council providing financial help to Surrey residents who have nowhere else to turn in an emergency or after a disaster. It can also provide assistance to set up a home in the community where no other funds or resources are available. 

For further information visit Surrey County Council’s website 


If you need help with rent or living expenses then you may qualify for Universal Credit or other benefits.

See Universal Credit on

See other benefits on

Problems paying Council Tax?

If you're having difficulty making Council Tax payments, please contact the Council Tax team on 01483 523500 to discuss your difficulties. 

See Help when struggling to pay Council Tax for more information.

Problems paying rent on your council house?

If you're a council tenant having difficulty making your rent payments, please contact the Housing Team on 01483 523520 to discuss your difficulties.

See Problems paying your council rent? for more information.

The ‘Help for Households’ campaign explains the different Government schemes available to help with the cost of living, covering new one-off payments and existing benefits and schemes, including:

Help for Households (GOV.UK)

Citizens Advice 

Waverley Citizens Advice provide free, impartial and confidential advice. They also offer support to those having difficulties making an application for Universal Credit.

Money Helper

Money Helper offers free and impartial advice, along with a budget planner to help you manage your finances.

Free internet access at Surrey libraries

If you don't have access to the internet at home, Surrey libraries have public computers with free internet access