Skip to main content

Financial support for residents

We are aware many people have been seriously affected by coronavirus and we continue to provide support.  We have strengthened our teams to refocus resources where they can do most to support our communities.

The Household Support Fund was announced by the Government in late autumn to support vulnerable households in need during this winter.

The fund is designed to help ease financial pressures on residents by providing short-term help over the winter period with food, fuel bills and other essentials to those who need it.

A proportion of the fund will be ring-fenced to support households with children.

The scheme runs until 31 March 2022 or until all funds have been allocated, whichever is the earlier.

We are working with local organisations to provide this support to Waverley residents on the council’s behalf. 

Who can apply?

The Household Support Fund provides assistance to individuals and families who are:

  • facing immediate financial difficulties
  • a household living in Waverley
  • struggling to pay essential household bills

How long will the process take?

Applications will be processed as quickly as possible, but it may take up to up to 10 days to process an application depending on what support you need.

If a high volume of applications are received, it may not be possible to provide support within this timescale and applications will be processed as soon as possible.

What can I apply for?

Help is available towards:

  • Food
  • Utilities - gas, electricity and water
  • Essentials linked to energy and water such as warm clothing, boiler repair
  • Essential household appliances such as a cooker, washing machine etc
  • Essential household items such as school uniform, bedding etc

Most will provide vouchers or purchase essential items for you. 

What can I not apply for?

Mortgage support will not be awarded.  If you are having difficulties with your mortgage payments, contact your lender as soon as possible.

Citizens Advice Waverley can also offer you advice if you are struggling to pay your mortgage.

How do I apply?

Local organisations are managing the application process on the council's behalf.

If you live in Farnham

Contact the Farnham Support Fund by visiting their website - Farnham Support Fund 

Tel: 01252 712667


If you live in Haslemere

Contact Haslemere Town Council by visiting their website - Haslemere Town Council

Tel: 01428 654305


If you live in Godalming

Contact Rotary’s Waverley-wide Support Fund by visiting their website - Rotary's Waverley-wide Support fund.

If you live in Cranleigh

Contact Rotary’s Waverley-wide Support Fund by visiting their website - Rotary's Waverley-wide Support fund.

If you live in any of Waverley’s villages

Contact Rotary’s Waverley-wide Support Fund by visiting their website - Rotary's Waverley-wide Support fund.

Do you have an immediate need for food?

For immediate help with food you can visit one of the local Citizens Advice Waverley bureaux to receive a food voucher.  

You can also request vouchers by visiting their website - Home - Citizens Advice Waverley (

Surrey Crisis Fund

The Surrey Crisis fund is a discretionary fund run by Surrey County Council providing financial help to Surrey residents who have nowhere else to turn in an emergency or after a disaster. It can also provide assistance to set up a home in the community where no other funds or resources are available. 

For further information visit Surrey County Council’s website 


If you need help with rent or living expenses then you may qualify for Universal Credit or other benefits.

See Universal Credit on

See other benefits on

Problems paying Council Tax?

If you're having difficulty making Council Tax payments, please contact the Council Tax team on 01483 523500 to discuss your difficulties. 

See Help when struggling to pay Council Tax for more information.

Problems paying rent on your council house?

If you're a council tenant having difficulty making your rent payments, please contact the Housing Team on 01483 523520 to discuss your difficulties.

See Problems paying your council rent? for more information.

Need help with food and essential supplies?

We have allocated funds to local community organisations that can help.

See Community organisations

Benefits coronavirus advice from Turn2Us

Benefits and coronavirus guidance from Turn2Us

Citizens Advice 

Waverley Citizens Advice provide free, impartial and confidential advice. They also offer support to those having difficulties making an application for Universal Credit.

Money Advice Service 

The Money Advice Service offers free and impartial money advice, including a budget planner to help you manage your finances.

Free internet access at Surrey libraries

If you don't have access to the internet at home, Surrey libraries have public computers with free internet access