The Phillips Memorial Park is a Green Flag Award-winning park and covers 4.5 hectares (11 acres). The park runs from the Borough Road bridge in Godalming to Bridge Road (near the Library), and includes The Burys Field.
The park includes:
The nearest car park is Crown Court GU7 1HR, this is a pay and display car park. There are public toilets at Crown Court Car Park.
Funding and restoration
The Phillips Memorial Park was awarded five years' funding for restoration and enhancement works through the Parks for People programme in 2011. It was a joint grant scheme run by the Heritage Lottery Fund (HLF) and the Big Lottery Fund (BIG).
The restoration and improvement works included:
- Restoration of the Grade II Phillips Memorial Cloister in time for the centenary of the sinking of the RMS Titanic (completed in time for the formal re-opening on 15 April 2012)
- A series of events which led up to the 100th anniversary of the sinking these included a special exhibition in Godalming Museum, plus a film show (A Night to Remember and two black and white silent newsreels from 1914 and 1917) and an Edwardian inspired picnic
- Restoration of the associated planting, assisted by the Surrey Gardens Trust, with a scheme based on the original design by Gertrude Jekyll
- Enhanced biodiversity, including meadow area and pond restoration
- Seating improvements based on the original Arts and Crafts benches designed by Hugh Thackeray Turner.
History of The Phillips Memorial Park
The Phillips Memorial Park is named after John George (Jack) Phillips, who, as well as being a resident of Farncombe, was Chief Wireless Telegraphist on the RMS Titanic. Jack remained at his post sending out distress messages in Morse code, as the ship sank, after striking an iceberg, on 15 April 1912. He was one of the first people to use the new international emergency call sign SOS during an actual disaster, which he interspersed with the old Marconi-preferred version CQD. The Memorial Cloister, at the western end of the Park, was built in 1913, through public subscription, to commemorate his selfless act.
The Cloister was designed by Hugh Thackeray Turner (1850-1937), a local architect renowned as an exponent of the Arts and Crafts style, who also helped to found the Society for the Protection of Ancient Buildings. The garden inside and around the Cloister was designed by Gertrude Jekyll, who is also well known for her work with Edward Lutyens, and for her book on old west Surrey (highlighting a way of life which was disappearing).
For more information about how we manage the site, please contact us on the details below for a copy of the Phillips Memorial Park management plan.
Tel: 01483 523394