Yes, you can swap if you are:
- a council tenant with a secure or flexible (secure) tenancy
- a housing association tenant with an assured or secure tenancy. You can also exchange tenancies if you are a housing association tenant with a fixed-term assured shorthold tenancy of 2 years or more.
No, you can’t swap if you are:
- a council tenant with an introductory or demoted tenancy.
- a housing association tenant with a starter tenancy.
If you are Waverley Borough Council tenant and are not sure what type of tenancy you have, call Housing Customer Service on 01483 523054 or email Mutual.Exchange@waverley.gov.uk
Reasons we may refuse a Mutual Exchange:
- either tenant has a suspended or outright possession order
- legal action has started because of rent arrears or anti-social behaviour
- the home that you or the other tenant wants to move into is too big or too small for your needs
- the home contains adaptations that you or the other tenant do not need.
If you have rent arrears you might get permission on condition that you agree to clear the arrears before you move.
You must not exchange homes with anyone unless you have written permission from both landlords. If you move without this, you risk making you and your family homeless.