Listed buildings

EPC ratings and listed buildings

Energy Performance Certificates (EPCs) are needed whenever a property is built, sold or rented. They contain information about a property's energy usage, typical energy costs and recommendations about how to reduce energy use and save money.  

EPC ratings and listed buildings

Section 5 of The Energy Performance of Buildings (England and Wales) Regulations 2012, provides an exemption for the EPC requirements for buildings defined as:

'buildings officially protected as part of a designated environment or because of their special architectural or historical merit, in so far compliance with certain minimum energy performance requirements would unacceptably alter their character or appearance'

Guidance from the Ministry for Housing, Communities & Local Government in the Guide to energy performance certificates for the construction, sale and let of dwellings, states:

'To comply with minimum energy performance requirements, many of the recommendations in an EPC report e.g. double glazing, new doors and windows, external wall insulation, and external boiler flues would likely result in unacceptable alterations in the majority if historic buildings. In these cases an EPC would not be required.

Building owners will need to take a view as to whether this will be the case for their building'

Privately rented properties - minimum energy efficiency standard

From 1 April 2018, landlords of privately rented domestic and non-domestic property in England or Wales must ensure that their properties reach at least an Energy Performance Certificate (EPC) rating of E before granting a new tenancy to existing or new tenants.

However, guidance from the Department for Business, Energy & Industrial Strategy in The Domestic Private Rented Property Minimum Standard, states:

'If a property is not legally required to have an EPC then, then that property will not be covered by the minimum standards regulations, and no exemption will be necessary'.

Further information

Please read and understand the regulations as we can't offer legal advice on this subject.

You need to take a view on whether or not your property falls within the requirements of the regulations. If in doubt, please seek your own legal advice. 

Historic England and The Institute of Historic Building Conservation are currently seeking further clarification on the implications from central government.  

Advice on making changes to listed buildings

We can advise whether specific recommendations would unacceptably alter the character or appearance of a building (by ascertaining whether listed building consent is required and if it is likely to gain permission). Please email, please note that if we think a site visit is necessary, we may need to ask you to apply for pre-application advice for which a £250 fee applies. Alternatively, you can apply for listed building consent.


Page owner: Sarah Wells. Last updated: 24/05/2019 11:18

We use cookies to improve your experience. By viewing our content you are accepting the use of cookies. Read about cookies we use.