Coronavirus - national lockdown measures in place

New measures came into place across England on 5 November to help protect people, businesses and the NHS and prevent the spread of Covid-19.

More information about the lockdown can be found on our Covid-19 advice pages

Problems paying your council rent?

We are aware many people have been seriously affected by coronavirus and we are working to provide support in whatever way we can.  Please see:

Financial support during coronavirus outbreak

As a Waverley tenant you are responsible for keeping your rent payments up to date. Rent arrears are a priority debt because the consequences of not paying are so serious. Falling behind can cause stress and anxiety and it can be difficult to catch up again. You could be liable for court costs and ultimately you could lose your home.

What do I do if I can't pay my rent?

If you can't pay your rent, you should contact us in confidence as soon as possible. We are here to help and the earlier you contact us the easier it will be for us to help you.

Call us on 01483 523520

You can also email us:

If you do get into arrears we will try to negotiate an agreement to help you pay off the arrears without incurring other debts. We can also refer you for specialist advice to make sure you are getting all the benefit and tax credits you are entitled to, or to help you if you have high levels of debt and just can't cope.

 You should not ignore the arrears or any letters which we send you. If you are unable to clear the arrears in full we will try to come to an agreement with you to pay off your arrears in regular intervals. If you have an agreement to pay the arrears it is important that you keep to this and do not miss any payments.

If you are unable to make a payment for any reason you should contact us straight away.

Can I get help with my rent?

Yes. If you have a low income, you may be entitled to Housing Benefit. Visit the Am I entitled page to find out if you qualify for benefit.

If you are uncertain whether or not you qualify you should still make a claim for Housing Benefit.

What should I do if I am waiting for Housing Benefit to be paid?

If you are waiting for Housing Benefit to be paid, you should tell us. We will not usually take legal action against you if we know you are waiting for a claim to be sorted out. It is important that you respond to all requests for information as quickly as possible. The sooner all the information is supplied the sooner your claim for housing benefit will be processed and payments made onto your account.

What other help is available?

You can get independent advice and help various organisations. Try:

More information

Please contact the Rent Accounts Team:

Page owner: . Last updated: 19/03/2020 12:40

We use cookies to improve your experience. By viewing our content you are accepting the use of cookies. Read about cookies we use.