Local air pollution has local causes. These are the simple things you can do to help improve air quality in Waverley:
On the go
- consider purchasing a hybrid or electric vehicle
- car share
- maintain your vehicle
- switch off your engine when sat in traffic
- walk and cycle where possible
- use public transport.
Get more ideas, details of local initiatives and advice on going electric from Surrey County Council's transport pages.
- Insulate your home so there is less need to heat or cool it
- Turn the thermostat down
- Group online purchases to reduce the number of deliveries needed or, where possible, choose the 'green' delivery slot
- Instead of having bonfires, use other ways to dispose of your garden waste.
- If you choose to burn, follow Defra's practical guidance for open fires and wood-burning stoves
- Buy, store and season wood to get the most from your wood burning stove
- If you purchase or replace a wood burning stove choose an appliance that is 'Ecodesign' ready. These appliances produce lower particulate emissions and are due to become law in the UK from 2022.
Reduce your exposure
- Choose quieter routes when walking or cycling
- Open your windows for ventilation when you cook, clean, do DIY or do other activities that release pollutants directly into your home
- Vulnerable people should check the latest UK Air pollution forecast
Page owner: Henry Ascoli. Last updated: 22/09/2020 11:23