Coronavirus - national lockdown measures in place

New measures came into place across England on 5 November to help protect people, businesses and the NHS and prevent the spread of Covid-19.

More information about the lockdown can be found on our Covid-19 advice pages

Universal Credit

Universal Credit is a single monthly payment for people who are on a low income or out of work.

It replaces:

  • Child Tax Credit
  • Working Tax Credit
  • Housing Benefit
  • Income Support
  • Income-Based Jobseekers Allowance (JSA)
  • Income-related Employment and Support Allowance (ESA)


To be eligible to claim Universal Credit you must:

  • be 18 or over
  • be under State Pension age
  • be in a mixed aged couple, where one of you is under State Pension age
  • have less than £16,000 in capital
  • live in the UK.

What can I get?

The amount of Universal Credit you receive will vary depending on your personal circumstances.
To find out what benefits you could claim, and how much you might get, visit

How do I apply?

Apply online on The site will guide you through the application process. There's plenty of support on there if you need it when making your claim online:

You can use the British Sign Language video relay service to contact Universal Credit about either:

  • Universal Credit
  • 'new style' Employment and Support Allowance (ESA)

Find out what you need to do to use the service

Where can I learn more?

Visit for further information on Universal Credit and what it means.

Claiming Council Tax Support

Universal Credit does not cover your Council Tax costs. For help with this you will need to make a claim separately.

Claim Council Tax Support

Page owner: Vanessa de Chazal. Last updated: 15/09/2020 09:10

We use cookies to improve your experience. By viewing our content you are accepting the use of cookies. Read about cookies we use.