Coronavirus advice

We are aware many of our residents and businesses have been seriously affected by coronavirus and are working to provide support in whatever way we can.

Coronavirus advice and information

Letters about your benefit claim

Find out about the letters we send you after you have made a claim for Housing Benefit and/or Council Tax Support.

We send you two types of letters as we process your Housing Benefit and/or Council Tax Support claim:

  • Automatic notification letters that you must check carefully.
  • Personal letters sent by members of our benefits team.

Automatic benefit notification letters

These letters contain information about you and your household, which we have used to work out how much Housing Benefit and/or Council Tax Support you are entitled to.

You must read these letters very carefully to check that the information shown is complete and correct. If any of the details about you and your household are wrong or missing, you must let us know as soon as possible.

If your details are wrong or incomplete, you may be missing out on benefit that is due to you, or we may be paying you more Housing Benefit and/or Council Tax Support than you are entitled to. It could be considered as benefit fraud if you knowingly continue to receive Housing Benefit and/or Council Tax Support based on incomplete or inaccurate information, so if you have any doubts about the personal or financial details shown in your notification letters you should send an email to or call us on 01483 523596.

Personal letters sent by members of the benefits team

We may need to write to you personally to process your claim, for example, to ask you to send in further information or original documents or to advise you that we are suspending your claim while we wait for information.

We may also write to you to ask for a written statement to help us assess your benefit claim, and we will send you a written response if you appeal against the decision.

Questions about benefit letters

If you have any queries about any of the letters you receive from us about your claim, please visit our What you need to know about Housing Benefit and Council Tax Support page or call us on 01483 523596.

Page owner: . Last updated: 26/04/2018 11:10

We use cookies to improve your experience. By viewing our content you are accepting the use of cookies. Read about cookies we use.