Coronavirus advice

We are aware many of our residents and businesses have been seriously affected by coronavirus and are working to provide support in whatever way we can.

Coronavirus advice and information

Changes that could affect your benefit

You must tell us about all changes in circumstances immediately. It is a criminal offence not to report a change.

You have one month to tell us from the date of the change in your circumstances. If you delay in telling us, you may lose out on benefit.

Please send an email to to tell us about any change in your circumstances.


If your wages increase, you need to let us know straight away as it is likely to affect your Housing Benefit and/or Council Tax Support.

Change of address

If you move to another address in Waverley and were receiving Housing Benefit at your old address, and you have had no other changes, you need to fill in the change of address form with your new tenancy agreement/proof of rent. Please call 01483 523596 to request a form.

Other changes of circumstances

Every time we receive information from you, we will send you a letter to confirm how this affects your benefit.

If you do not receive the letter, you must assume that we have not heard from you.

If this is the case, you must contact us again. It could be considered as fraud if you knowingly continue to receive benefit when your entitlement may have changed.

Examples of changes you must report:

  • You stop receiving Income Support, Job Seeker's Allowance, Employment and Support Allowance or any other state benefit.
  • You move (even if you only move to a different room or flat in the same property).
  • Your income, or the income of anyone living with you, goes up or down.
  • Your rent changes.
  • Anything at all which is different from what you have told us on your claim form.

Please send an email to to tell us about any change in your circumstances.

Do not rely on anyone else to give us the information, or pass a message on, not even the Job Centre, Pensions Service or Revenues and Customs.

If you don't tell us about the changes, you may lose money you are entitled to, or we may pay you too much benefit which we can ask you to repay.

Temporary absence

You must tell us if you have to leave your home for a period of time, but intend to return to the property.

If you are planning to be out of the country for more than four weeks, we will not normally be able to pay you Housing Benefit.

By informing us of your circumstances before you go, we may be able to pay your benefit while you are away.

In certain cases, you may be able to continue receiving Housing Benefit for up to eight, 26 or 52 weeks. Please contact us to find out if we can pay your benefit while you are away.

Help returning to work

If you return to work after being on benefit, some of your benefit will stop automatically and some will carry on for a short while to bridge the gap.  If you are on a low income, you may still qualify for some help.

For four weeks after you return to work, you may be able to get an:

  • extended Housing Benefit payment
  • extended Council Tax Support  payment.

You may also be able to get this payment if you are working more hours or earning more money.  To be eligible, you must:

  • have been getting Jobseeker's Allowance or Income Support for at least 26 weeks
  • have been getting Incapacity Benefit or Severe Disablement Allowance for at least 26 weeks
  • expect the work or your increased hours or earnings to last for five weeks or more.

Childcare costs

If you pay for childcare, part of this cost can be deducted from the income figure used to calculate your Housing Benefit and Council Tax Support.

This can be up to £175 (for one child) or £300 (for two or more children) a week for the following categories:

  • lone parents who work at least 16 hours a week.
  • couples who both work at least 16 hours a week.
  • couples if one of them works at least 16 hours a week and the other one is incapacitated, or in hospital, or in prison (whether serving a sentence or on remand).

To qualify, the child or children will need to be with:

  • a registered childminder, nursery or play scheme
  • a childminding scheme, for which registration is not needed (eg run by a school, local authority)
  • childcare approved for Working Tax Credit purposes
  • any out-of-school-hours' scheme provided by a school on school premises or by local authority, in this case only, the child must be aged eight or more.

You will not qualify if the child is aged 15 or more. If the child is disabled the age would be 16 years.

Page owner: . Last updated: 26/04/2018 11:20

We use cookies to improve your experience. By viewing our content you are accepting the use of cookies. Read about cookies we use.