Am I entitled to benefits?

You may be entitled to Housing Benefit and Council Tax Support if you:

  • receive a benefit such as income-related Employment and Support Allowance (ESA), income-based Jobseeker's Allowance (JSA), Income Support or Pension Credit Guarantee
  • pay rent and Council Tax at the place you need to claim benefit for
  • are about to or live in the property that you wish to claim for
  • are eligible to work and claim benefits in the United Kingdom
  • are on a low income.

You may not be entitled to Housing Benefit and Council Tax Support if you:

  • live in a house provided by your employer as part of your job (eg school caretaker or priest / minister of religion)
  • live in the home of a close relative
  • are residing in the UK as an European Economic Area jobseeker
  • are subject to immigration control and your granted leave states that you can't claim public funds
  • have savings over £16,000 unless you get Pension Credit Guarantee
  • are a full-time student unless you are disabled or have children.

To apply for other benefits such as Employment and Support Allowance or Pension Credits please visit the GOV.UK website.

If you wish to make a claim for Housing Benefit and/or Council Tax Support, please call 01483 523596 to tell us about your intention to claim. We will offer you an appointment to visit our offices to have your claim assessed.

If you visit the council offices with your claim form and all the documents we need to see, we can process your claim and let you know your entitlement while you wait. This will take around one hour.

Please see our making a new claim page for more information:

Making a new claim for benefit

Page owner: . Last updated: 26/04/2018 10:49

We use cookies to improve your experience. By viewing our content you are accepting the use of cookies. Read about cookies we use.