Waverley's Covid Alert Level is MEDIUM

Residents are urged to be extra vigilant as local Covid cases are on the rise. Remember to wash hands, wear facemasks when required and keep your distance to help stop the spread of the virus.

Find out more

Care and repair scheme - for home improvements

If you own your home or rent privately, we can help make your home more suitable and comfortable, if you find it difficult to arrange this.  We can:

  • visit and listen confidentially to any problems with your property and assess the repairs or alterations needed
  • check your entitlement to any benefits
  • discuss payment for the work and help you to apply for grants if possible, including completing the forms
  • draw up a schedule of works, prepare plans and technical specifications
  • organise builders and supervise the work until completed satisfactorily
  • liaise with other professionals on your behalf such as Occupational Therapists and Grant Officers
  • provide this service also where you are able to pay for the works

Who can the Care and Repair team help?

We can help people who own or privately rent their home and have the responsibility to pay for repairs and improvements but find it difficult to arrange.

For example, we could help you if:

  • you are getting older or have some kind of disability and feel that alterations would help you to stay in your home longer
  • your home needs some basic repairs or amenities but feel you cannot afford them because your household income is low.

Council tenants

Please note this service is not available to Waverley Council tenants. Please see Adaptations to your Council home.

What we can help with

Repairs and improvements

  • boiler repairs/replacements
  • central heating installation


  • Re-arrangement of rooms for easier access
  • level access shower
  • downstairs WC
  • stair lift
  • through floor lift
  • alteration to steps
  • widening doors
  • internal and external ramps

Paying for the work

If you decide to go ahead with the works using our service there will be a fee, charged at a percentage of the total cost of the works. This will be made clear from the start.

If you are eligible for a grant

However, you may be eligible for a grant from the Council or a charity. We can advise you on this and help you to apply. In many cases, if you receive a grant, this will also cover the fee.

If you are not eligible for a grant

If you are not eligible for financial assistance we can still help you by arranging and supervising the works.

Find out more about the Care and repair scheme on guildford.gov.uk

Contact: 01483 505050

Handy Person Scheme - Falls Prevention

Do you own your own home or privately rent?

The Handy Person Scheme offers a helping hand in falls prevention.

If you are over 60, disabled or vulnerable we can carry out some minor works to the home free of charge, including:

  • Installation of Hand/Grab rails
  • Internal Bannister rails
  • External Galvanised railings
  • Installation of key safes
  • Home Safety Check
  • Hospital to Home – Home Check

For further information, please contact the Care & Repair Agency on 01483 444476.

Page owner: Paula Mackenzie. Last updated: 02/07/2020 08:26

We use cookies to improve your experience. By viewing our content you are accepting the use of cookies. Read about cookies we use.