The Phillips Memorial Park is a Green Flag Award-winning park and covers 4.5 hectares (11 acres). The park runs from the Borough Road bridge in Godalming to Bridge Road (near the Library), and includes The Burys Field.
About the park
The park includes:
- The Phillips Memorial Cloister (Arts and Crafts grade 2 listed building)
- a children's playground
- places to see and feed wildfowl
- a skate park
- a bandstand, which plays host to open-air concerts in the Summer
- picnic areas
- the Godalming War Memorial
- the Godalming and Farncombe Bowling Club
- the Riverside Walk
- conservation meadow and pond.
The nearest car park is Crown Court GU7 1HR, this is a pay and display car park, please see our car parking page for more details.
You can also reach us by train, Godalming Station is only a short walk away or bus and there are various bus stops in the parks locality.
There are toilets at Crown Court Car Park.
Site User Group
There is a site user group which covers both the Phillips Memorial Park and the Lammas Lands who discuss the management of the sites. If you would like to join please email firstname.lastname@example.org or phone 01483 523394.
In August 2011, it was announced that the Phillips Memorial Park had been awarded five years' funding for restoration and enhancement works through the Parks for People programme, a joint grant scheme run by the Heritage Lottery Fund (HLF) and the Big Lottery Fund (BIG).
The restoration and improvement works include:
- Restoration of the Grade II Phillips Memorial Cloister in time for the centenary of the sinking of the RMS Titanic (completed in time for the formal re-opening on 15 April 2012)
- A series of events which led up to the 100th anniversary of the sinking these included a special exhibition in Godalming Museum, plus a film show (A Night to Remember and two black and white silent newsreels from 1914 and 1917) and an Edwardian inspired picnic
- Restoration of the associated planting, assisted by the Surrey Gardens Trust, with a scheme based on the original design by Gertrude Jekyll
- Enhanced biodiversity, including meadow area and pond restoration
- Seating improvements based on the original Arts and Crafts benches designed by Hugh Thackeray Turner
History of Phillips Memorial Park
The Phillips Memorial Park is named after John George (Jack) Phillips, who, as well as being a resident of Farncombe, was Chief Wireless Telegraphist on the RMS Titanic. Jack remained at his post sending out distress messages in Morse code, as the ship sank, after striking an iceberg, on 15 April 1912. He was one of the first people to use the new international emergency call sign SOS during an actual disaster, which he interspersed with the old Marconi-preferred version CQD. The Memorial Cloister, at the western end of the Park, was built in 1913, through public subscription, to commemorate his selfless act.
The Cloister was designed by Hugh Thackeray Turner (1850-1937), a local architect renowned as an exponent of the Arts and Crafts style, who also helped to found the Society for the Protection of Ancient Buildings. The garden inside and around the Cloister was designed by Gertrude Jekyll, who is also well known for her work with Edward Lutyens, and for her book on old west Surrey (highlighting a way of life which was disappearing).
Page owner: Faye Pringle. Last updated: 22/09/2020 11:11