Join us on our weekly health walks and take part in regular exercise meeting new people. Best of all they are FREE.
All you need to do is turn up in suitable clothes and comfortable shoes to enjoy the walk.
Details about the walks
- Most walks are 30-90 minutes and approximately two miles.
- Walk routes vary every week, some locations offer a longer walk once every month.
- Walks take account of the pace of the slowest person, but the aim is for brisk walking to increase your heart rate and make you breathe a little faster than normal.
Register before your first walk
Please allow five minutes to register at the start of your first walk so you can fill in a brief registration form.
You will need your GP's agreement if you have been diagnosed or have problems with your heart, balance, joints or bones, or have experienced pains in the chest.
Walk times and locations
To ensure that walks are available for all abilities, a 30-minute maximum walk is offered from the venues as follows:
- Haslemere - first Tuesday of the month at 3pm from Haslewey Community Centre.
- Farnham - first Tuesday of the month at 10.30am from Brightwells Gostrey Centre, Dogflud Way.
- Godalming - second Thursday of the month at 11am from the Walks for Health meeting post on the Riverside Walk in the Phillips Memorial Park. The meeting point can be found opposite the council offices car park (yellow barriers).
- Cranleigh - Every Tuesday, 11am from Cranleigh Leisure Centre.
- Every Tuesday at 10.30am at Brightwells Gostrey Centre, Dogflud Way. Two walks are offered each week, including a shorter, slower walk which takes about 60 mins. A third faster, longer walk is also offered on the last Tuesday of each month, for more experienced walkers.
Tea and coffee is available at the end of every walk (payable at the time), and on the last Tuesday of the month, all walkers are invited to come along to a lunch at the Gostrey Centre (payable at the time).
- Every Thursday at 11am at the Walks for Health meeting post on the Riverside Walk in the Phillips Memorial Park; opposite the Council Offices car park entrance.
- A longer walk replaces the short walk on the first Thursday of each month; this includes a pub lunch (payable at the time).
- Every Tuesday at 2.30pm at Haslewey Community Centre.
- Every Thursday at 1pm from the Bartholomew's Church Haslemere.
- Every Saturday at 11am from Haslemere Leisure Centre.
New volunteer leaders wanted
We always need new leaders and full training is provided on a local one-day training courses. No previous experience is necessary, just a willingness to help and an enjoyment of walking to share with others.
If you are interested in training to become a walk leader, please try a walk, then contact Gemma Jones at Places Leisure by email GemmaJone@pfpleisure.org or by calling 01483 410500 to register your interest.
Binscombe GP Walking for Health
The Binscombe Medical Centre's Walking for Health group meet at Broadwater park every Tuesday at 10.15am. Please watch the video which is going to be included in their GP conference in November.
About Walks for Health
The Waverley Walks for Health scheme is part of Walking for Health (a national initiative now led by the Ramblers, with support from Macmillan Cancer Support).
Contact your local leisure centre for details on specific walks in your area:
- Haslemere Tel: 01428 658484
- Godalming Tel: 01483 410500
- Farnham Tel: 01252 723208
- Cranleigh Tel: 01483 274400
For general information about all walks in the scheme, please contact Gemma Jones (Walks for Health Contact at Places for People)
Tel: 01483 410500
Page owner: Tom Crowe. Last updated: 19/10/2018 16:32