GPs and Health Professionals can refer appropriate patients to a qualified exercise specialist. The specialist devises and delivers a 12 week tailored exercise programme for the patient, at a reduced price.
Am I eligible for the GP Exercise Referral scheme?
Patients who are over 11, are able to exercise and suffer from any of these medical conditions, may qualify for the scheme:
- Anxiety/depression and mild to moderate mental health problems
- Arthritis (Osteoarthritis & Rheumatoid Arthritis)
- Cancer – (Following Treatment and remission)
- Cerebral Palsy
- Chronic Fatigue
- Multiple Sclerosis
- Obesity - (BMI over 27 or 25 with other related conditions)
- Parkinson Disease
- Joint Replacement (Following initial rehab)
- Back pain (Following medical treatment)
- Stable Angina
- Post Phase IV Cardiac Rehabilitation
- Controlled Hypertension
How will the scheme help me?
Research shows that increasing the amount of physical activity you do can make significant improvements to your health, well-being and lifestyle. Exercise:
- Decreases the risk of heart disease
- Reduces blood pressure
- Controls body weight and decreases body fat
- Improves strength, co-ordination, mobility and balance
- Reduces risk of cancer
- Enhances immune system
- Improves mental well being and reduces the risk of depression
- Reduces stress and anxiety
- Increases energy levels
- Controls diabetes
- Prevents and treats muscle and bone injuries and diseases
How much will it cost?
The initial registration fee is £15. You then have two options:
- Pay as you go for Adults = £4.50 per gym session or group workout class and £3.50 per swim
- Pay as you go for Juniors = £3.90 per gym session
- One off payment for Adults = £73 for 12 weeks unlimited exercise sessions (gym, classes or swim)
- One off payment for Juniors = £43 for 12 weeks unlimited exercise sessions (gym or swim) T&C's apply*
How do I join the scheme?
Visit your local GP or Health Professional and ask if they will refer you on to the Waverley Exercise Referral scheme. Ensure that they give you the referral form and patient leaflet.
Book an initial appointment with your local leisure centre by visiting or contacting one of the sites.
Page owner: Tom Crowe. Last updated: 29/06/2020 11:52