Coronavirus - national lockdown measures in place

New measures came into place across England on 5 November to help protect people, businesses and the NHS and prevent the spread of Covid-19.

More information about the lockdown can be found on our Covid-19 advice pages

Financial support during coronavirus outbreak

We are aware many people have been seriously affected by coronavirus and we continue to provide support.  We have strengthened our teams to refocus resources where they can do most to support our communities.

Financial support if your income has dropped

Council Tax Support

We might be able to help you pay your Council Tax if:

  • you are liable to pay Council Tax
  • have less that £16,000 in capital
  • have lost your job or are on reduced hours

See Council Tax Support for more information.

Other benefits

If you need help with rent or living expenses then you may qualify for Universal Credit or other benefits.

See Universal Credit on

See other benefits on

Problems paying Council Tax?

If you're having difficulty making  Council Tax payments, please contact the Council Tax team on 01483 523500 to discuss your difficulties. 

See Help when struggling to pay Council Tax for more information.

Problems paying rent on your council house?

If you're a council tenant having difficulty making your rent payments, please contact the Housing team on 01483 523520 to discuss your difficulties.

See Problems paying your council rent? for more information.

Surrey Crisis Fund

Some families may be reliant on free school meals for example which with current school closures may be putting a strain on them financially. It's people like this that the Surrey Crisis Fund can help. It's a discretionary fund run by Surrey County Council providing financial help to Surrey residents who have nowhere else to turn in an emergency or after a disaster.

Support for people required to self-isolate - Test and Trace Support Payment

The new Test and Trace Support Payment of £500 will ensure those on low incomes will be able to self isolate without having to worry about their finances.

How to apply

More information about the payment and how to apply are available on our 'if you need to self-isolate' section.

Other sources of help and support

Need help with food and essential supplies?

We have allocated funds to local community organisations that can help.

See Community organisations

Community Support from Surrey County Council

Surrey County Council has set up a new community helpline, directing you to the services you need, and details of financial help that's available. 

See Community Support / I need help

Benefits Coronavirus advice from Turn2Us

Benefits and coronavirus guidance from Turn2Us

Citizens Advice 

Waverley Citizens Advice provide free, impartial and confidential advice. They also offer support to those having difficulties making an application for Universal Credit.

Money Advice Service 

The Money Advice Service offers free and impartial money advice, including a budget planner to help you manage your finances.

Free internet access at Surrey libraries

If you don't have access to the internet at home, Surrey libraries have public computers with free internet access.

More information

See for information and links to the latest advice.

Page owner: Vanessa de Chazal. Last updated: 29/10/2020 16:11

We use cookies to improve your experience. By viewing our content you are accepting the use of cookies. Read about cookies we use.