Demolition of buildings

Submitting a Demolition Notice

Notifying us

If you plan to demolish a building, you usually need to notify:

  • your local authority
  • gas and electricity suppliers
  • occupiers of adjacent buildings

at least six weeks beforehand.

You may also need to get planning permission or prior approval. Please contact our planning enquiries desk on 01483 523583 or

Evidence to support your demolition notice

You will need to submit a plan to a scale of not less than 1:1250 showing the size and position of the building to be demolished and its relationship to adjoining properties.

What you need to know

A demolition notice is not generally required for internal works or for small or agricultural buildings. (For full details see Section 80, paragraph 1 of the Building Act 1984).

You should not begin a demolition unless the Local Authority has given notice under Section 81 or the relevant period (six weeks) has expired.

It is your duty to send or give a copy of the notice to the occupier of any building adjacent to the building, to the gas supplier and to the electricity supplier.

If you contravene Section 80, you will be liable on summary conviction to a fine not exceeding level 4 on the standard scale.

These notes are for general guidance only; particulars regarding the demolition of buildings are contained in Section 80, 81 and 82 of the Building Act 1984.

All applicants should also be aware of the Party Wall Act 1996.


We are entitled to charge for the reasonable expenses of reviewing a Section 80 notice and preparing a notice under Section 81 of the Building Act 1984 and supervision of work on any site.

A charge of £220 is payable with submission of this notice. Please pay online or call us on 01483 523323 and we can take the payment over the phone.

Submit a Demolition Notice - Section 80 online

When you don't need to notify us

You do not need to notify us if you are planning to demolish:

  • an internal part of a building, where the building is occupied and it is intended that it should continue to be occupied
  • a building smaller than 50m3 (external volume)
  • a greenhouse, conservatory, shed or prefabricated garage, where they form part of a larger building
  • an agricultural building, unless it is in contact with another non-agricultural building.

More information

If you require any help in completing the form please contact the Building Regulations section on 01483 523323 or email

Page owner: Lindsay Goodman. Last updated: 26/03/2019 11:11

We use cookies to improve your experience. By viewing our content you are accepting the use of cookies. Read about cookies we use.