Tenant alteration requests

Tenant Alterations

You need to apply for permission before carrying out any type of improvements to your council home. Examples include:

  • putting up a satellite dish
  • replacing a kitchen
  • changing the electric fittings.

Make a tenant alteration request online

If approved, you will become responsible for the future upkeep, repair and maintenance of any improvements that you make.

When we may refuse

We may refuse permission for improvements if:

  • there is less living space in your home
  • they will make your home unsafe
  • the improvements create disadvantages for neighbouring homes
  • they make it more expensive for us to maintain your home.

Aids and adaptations

If you are disabled or have serious health issues we may be able to adapt your home so you can live in it safely and independently. If you would like to find out more on this please see our aids and adaptations page.

If you carry out work without permission

If you have carried out any home improvements without seeking our written permission first, or had our permission but did not carry out the improvements as agreed, we may have to put the property back to how it was. This may be for health and safety reasons or because the works do not comply with other regulations. You will have to reimburse us for any costs we incur for doing this, so please get permission in writing first and make sure you are clear in telling us what improvements you want to make. 


Page owner: Caroline Ottery. Last updated: 23/11/2017 16:14

We use cookies to improve your experience. By viewing our content you are accepting the use of cookies. Read about cookies we use.