Complaints about trees and high hedges

If you have an issue with a neighbour’s hedge or high trees, you should talk to them about the problem and try to reach a mutually agreeable solution.

You could send a polite letter, or if this still doesn’t work, invite them to talk to independent mediators who can help you find a way forward.  Find a Civil Mediation provider on the Justice website.

Find out more from the Government information 'Over the garden hedge'.

Complaining to the council about your neighbour's trees or hedges should be a last resort.

How much does it cost to make a formal complaint?

It costs £500 to make a formal complaint.

You will also need to show evidence of the steps you have taken to reach a solution.

We can only consider a complaint if the:

  • person making the complaint is the owner or occupier of the property affected by the hedge
  • property affected must be a domestic property
  • complaint must be made because the height of the hedge is adversely affecting the reasonable enjoyment of the domestic property.

The hedge

  • must be growing on land owned by someone else
  • (or a portion of it) must be made up of a line of two or more trees or shrubs
  • It must be mostly evergreen or semi-evergreen
  • It must be more than 2 metres tall
  • Even though there may be gaps in the foliage or between the trees or shrubs, the hedge must be obstructing light or views

How to make a formal complaint

To make a formal complaint please email

Page owner: Ben Hammond. Last updated: 30/07/2018 13:17

We use cookies to improve your experience. By viewing our content you are accepting the use of cookies. Read about cookies we use.