Coronavirus - national lockdown measures in place

New measures came into place across England on 5 November to help protect people, businesses and the NHS and prevent the spread of Covid-19.

More information about the lockdown can be found on our Covid-19 advice pages

Street parties

Traditional street parties are a great way to meet your neighbours and celebrate national events.

Advice on organising a street party

The top tip is to start planning early.  Small, private street parties should be simple to organise and generally do not include activities that need a licence, such as selling alcohol or providing certain types of entertainment. 

There is a lot of information available to communities thinking about holding a street party.  These websites offer some ideas and advice:

GOV.UK Street Party Guide

The Street Party Site

The Big Lunch

Apply for a road closure

What to consider before you apply for a street party road closure

You can apply for a road closure if your road is purely residential (ie not a main road, a through road or a bus route).

Access to the closed part of the road must be maintained at all times for residents and emergency vehicles. You can place tables and chairs in the road as these can be moved easily, but good practice is to keep them to one side of the road.

You will need to consult with everyone who lives in a house or runs a business that will be affected by the road closure. It is your responsibility to make sure that they are aware of the proposals and are happy with them.

How do I apply for a street party road closure?

Use the online road closure application form

Road closure orders for street parties are free

There is no charge to applicants for the work undertaken to issue a road closure order. However, you may need to pay for the hire of signs and barriers.

When do I have to apply?

Please submit your application at least four weeks before the date of your event.

It may not take us very long to deal with your application if it is straightforward, eg a request for the closure of a cul-de-sac.

We will need to check that your proposed road closure doesn't affect other closures in neighbouring roads; and Surrey Highways will be checking applications from across the county. The sooner you can make your application, the sooner you will receive a decision.

What happens after we receive your application?

We will consult with various affected parties, including Surrey Highways, Surrey Police, parish councils, and Waverley Ward councillors.

If there are no objections to the proposals, we will issue a Road Closure Order and send you a Notice of the Order to display in your street ahead of the event.

If there are any queries or objections raised, we will get in touch and try to come to a satisfactory resolution to enable your event to take place - another good reason to get your application to us in good time.

Will I need to put street signs up?

Yes. Road closures and diversions will need to be signed correctly. If your street is a cul-de-sac then a simple "Road closed" sign will be sufficient. The Street Party web site has template signs available to download and print off.

More extensive road closures and traffic diversions may require you to pay for the hire of signs, available from  traffic management companies (Google "traffic management signs hire").

Planning an event on Waverley land?

If you are planning an event on land owned or managed by Waverley Borough Council, you need to contact the Parks and Countryside team (email: or tel: 01483 523394] for the necessary permissions and to ensure that the site isn't double-booked.

Is your rubbish or recycling due to be collected the same day as your street party?

If your rubbish or recycling collections are on the same day as your street party, please contact the Environmental Services team on 01483 523524 or at to discuss alternative arrangements for your collections, then let local residents and businesses know what you have agreed.

Advice on clearing up

You will need to clear up after your party - it's your party, your street, so keep your local area clean and tidy. Appoint a team to co-ordinate the clean-up. Let people know in advance what time the event will finish and have a section set aside for bin bags and recycling. Encourage people to take their waste home and recycle as much as possible through the collection service.

Do you need a licence?

If you are planning a larger street party , particularly where the sale of alcohol will take place, you may need a Temporary Event Notice which enables certain activities (sale of alcohol, regulated entertainment, or provision of late night (after 11pm) refreshments) to happen on a limited basis without the need to obtain a full licence for the premises where the activities are to take place.

You may want to hold a raffle at your event, to raise funds to cover your costs or for a charity. Provided you only sell the raffle tickets and do the draw at the party, and the value of the prizes doesn't exceed £500, you do not need a Lottery Licence or a Street Collection Licence.

Tips to minimise noise complaints

Hopefully everyone in your area will be attending your event so there won't be anyone to disturb. However, for various reasons not all your neighbours may want to party or hear other people partying late into the night. Here are a few hints to try and ensure that your event passes off without any complaints.

  1. Notify neighbours of your event, the time it will finish and a name and telephone number for them to contact if they are disturbed by it.
  2. Carry out regular checks outside of your event to ensure that the noise is not causing any disturbance to nearby residents, and if it is take appropriate action.
  3. The level of noise acceptable in the middle of the afternoon might not be as acceptable at 11 o'clock at night. Make sure that noise levels are lowered later in the evening when children or other local residents might be trying to get to sleep.
  4. Ensure that your street party doesn't spill over beyond the area of your event, and be considerate to your neighbours as you close your street party down and tidy up.
  5. If you are having fireworks then let them off earlier in the evening so that everyone can enjoy them, and not at midnight.

More information

For further information, please contact 

Page owner: Henry Ascoli. Last updated: 22/09/2020 11:17

We use cookies to improve your experience. By viewing our content you are accepting the use of cookies. Read about cookies we use.