Coronavirus advice

We are aware many of our residents and businesses have been seriously affected by coronavirus and are working to provide support in whatever way we can.

Coronavirus advice and information

Licences and registrations - Caravan and camping site licence

Caravan and camping site licence

The purpose of a caravan site licence is to regulate the standard of the site for the safety and convenience of the occupiers. Amongst other things it ensures that:

  • the number of caravans does not exceed a specified maximum
  • there is adequate space between caravans to prevent spread of fire
  • suitable fire precautions are present and maintained
  • any liquefied petroleum gas (LPG) is stored safely
  • the electrical supply to the site is safe
  • there are adequate facilities in terms of water supply, sanitation, washing facilities and drainage
  • a sign is displayed at the site entrance in case of emergency.
  • The owner of the caravan site must have a caravan site licence, which is granted by Waverley Borough Council. Failure to do this may result in prosecution.


    Please read the Council's caravan site licensing fee policy.

    Additional notes

    Exemptions - where a licence is not needed

    A caravan site licence is not needed if:

    • a caravan is parked in a drive (or within a property boundary) and is not lived in
    • you are travelling with a single caravan and staying on land for one or two nights for a maximum of 28 days in any 12 months
    • use of land of five acres or more by not more than three caravans at any one time for a maximum of 28 days in any 12 months
    • the site is occupied and supervised by exempted organisations such as the Caravan Club
    • the site is approved by exempted organisations for use by its members for recreation if not more than 5 caravans are stationed on the land
    • meetings are organised by exempted organisations and lasting not more than five days
    • the site is for seasonal agricultural and forestry workers
    • site is a building and engineering site
    • the site is occupied by travelling showmen
    • the site is owned by the licensing authority
    • it is a gypsy site owned by county councils


    Transfer a licence to a new owner

    If you have recently purchased a caravan site, please contact us for an application form to transfer the licence into your name.


    Mobile Homes Act 2013

    The Mobile Homes Act 2013 came into force on 1 April 2014. The new provisions include the ability for the local authority to charge the site owner a fee for applying for a site licence or to transfer or vary an existing licence and an annual fee system. Local authorities are able to refuse to grant a site licence where it considers the applicant is unsuitable to hold a licence. In addition the local authority is able to serve compliance notices where licence conditions are breached, with failure to comply an offence which could result in a fine. In addition, if the licence holder does not comply with the notice the local authority can do the works in default and recover the costs.


    Public Register of Deposited Site Rules

    The Mobile Homes Act 2013 requires that operators of residential caravan sites and mobile home parks deposit Site Rules with the local authority, once they have been agreed with the residents.  We do not enforce these rules, although some rules may be a duplicate of the site licence conditions.  The site rules are part of the contract between the home owner and site owner and supplement the Mobile Homes Act agreement.

    We keep and publish a register of site rules.  The rules that appear on the Park Site Rules downloads page have been written by the site owners and not by Waverley Borough Council.

    Site Occupiers

    For site occupiers, further information about how the changes affect you can be found in the booklet - Park Homes: know your rights


    Public register

    We use cookies to improve your experience. By viewing our content you are accepting the use of cookies. Read about cookies we use.