Waverley helps over 7000 of its residents to pay their housing costs with help from the housing benefit and council tax benefit schemes. Over £32m are paid each year to residents in Waverley.
Report benefit fraud
If you suspect anyone of committing housing benefit and / or council tax benefit fraud please:
- Report benefit fraud online
- or telephone the free and confidential hotline 0800 3286 340.
Whilst the vast majority of the people claiming this help are honest there will always be those who seek to defraud the system. This is not a victimless crime the actions of those defrauding the benefits system affects us all.
- It is theft of money from the public purse
- It takes money that would otherwise be used to help pay for schools and hospitals
- The money stolen still has to be paid for, by the taxpayer
For this reason, Waverley has a dedicated team of specialist investigators who have the responsibility to ensure that payments are only made to those properly entitled.
The Investigation Teams duties include:
- detecting fraudulent claims;
- stopping and reducing payment in fraudulent cases
- preparing cases for prosecution
- help to maintain an anti fraud culture through the organisation
We are fully committed to the Government's national campaign of targeting benefit thieves. Since April 2008 Waverley has successfully prosecuted 18 people and have imposed over 30 Administrative Penalties and cautions as an alternative to prosecution. Waverley has identified £263,950.72 in overpaid benefit as a direct result of the work of the investigations team.
If you suspect anyone of committing housing benefit and / or council tax benefit fraud please Report It on-line or telephone the free and confidential hotline 0800 3286 340.
For all other benefits please report direct to the government central reporting system or telephone 0800 854 440.
Page owner: Penny Anderson. Last updated: 27/03/2013 12:03
Further pages in Benefit fraud
Benefit Fraud Investigations Team
Contact details for all maters relating to housing and council tax benefit fraud.
Address: Council Offices
Tel: 01483 523376
Fax: 01483 533442