Waverley Borough Council
Recycling collections

Some recycling collections in Grayswood, Elstead, Wormley, Witley, Haslemere, Hambledon and Chiddingfold have not been made today. Leave your bins out and they will be emptied as soon as possible.

Local Housing Allowance (LHA)

About Local Housing Allowance (LHA)

If you are a private tenant renting a property or room from a private landlord and you are on a low income, you may be able to claim and receive Local Housing Allowance.  The Local Housing Allowance is used to work out how much housing benefit you get.

Different LHA rates

For tenants in the Waverley area there are two Broad Rental Market Areas (BRMA) with different Local Housing Allowance rates:

  • Blackwater Valley
  • Guildford

See the Local Housing Allowance Waverley Area Map if you are not sure which rates will apply for you. 

Check the rates for a specific address at The Valuation Office Agency website.

LHA rates from April 2015

Blackwater Valley area




Shared rate



One bedroom



Two bedroom



Three bedroom



Four bedroom



Guildford area




Shared rate



One bedroom



Two bedroom



Three bedroom



Four bedroom



LHA bedroom entitlement

The Local Housing Allowance you are entitled to depends on the number of bedrooms you need, not necessarily the number of bedrooms in the property.

The rules say that one bedroom is needed for each of the following:

  • a couple
  • a single adult/young person (over 16)
  • two children of the same sex aged 10-15
  • two children under the age of 10
  • any other child

Shared room accommodation rates

If you are single and under 35 years old, your claim for housing benefit will be assessed on the Shared Room Accommodation rate.  There are exceptions to this rule for anyone receiving the medium/higher rate of Disability Living Allowance; or those who do not live alone. 

How LHA is paid

Your Local Housing Allowance will be paid directly into your bank account.  You will need to arrange payment to your landlord separately.

How to claim LHA

Find out how to claim in our Making a claim for benefit page.

Contact us

If you have any queries about Local Housing Allowance in Waverley, please contact us:


Page owner: Penny Anderson. Last updated: 23/03/2015 14:00

Benefits team

Contact the Benefits team for information and advice.

Address: Revenues and Benefits Section
Waverley Borough Council
The Burys

Tel: 01483 523596

Fax: 01483 523442

Email: housingbenefits@waverley.gov.uk