Brightwells development at East Street in Farnham
Brightwells development at East Street
The Brightwells development at East Street will bring a vibrant new dimension to Farnham.
See a virtual tour of Brightwells
See a flythrough of what the redevelopment will look like.
The plans include:
- 167 new homes for sale
- 72 much needed affordable homes available to those on the Council waiting list
- six screen Odeon cinema
- new town square with landscaped gardens
- new 5 court tennis club at Riverside, including a modern pavilion and facilities
- new shops, restaurants and cafes
- bigger and better Brightwells Gostrey Centre for community use
- newly landscaped Brightwells Park available with views and paths down to the River Wey
- upgraded car parking facilities
- restoration of the Grade 2 listed listed Brightwells House
- public art on display
- pedestrianised East Street
- £375,000 for park and stride and traffic schemes in Farnham
- £750,000 towards education in Farnham
- £322,000 towards sports and leisure provision in Farnham
- £37,000 for libraries in Farnham
- over £300,000 for improvements in Farnham Park.
We need to acquire some key parts of the East Street site which remain outside Waverley's control before work can begin. We are carrying out the legal and preparatory work to enable a potential Compulsory Purchase Order (CPO) for these. An extraordinary council meeting of Waverley Borough Council took place on Tuesday 8 May. View the agenda.
View a webcast of the Extraordinary Council Meeting on 8 May 2012.
You can also view the agenda and minutes from the Special Meeting of the Executive held on 24 April 2012.
The Waverley Borough Council (East Street Farnham) Compulsory Purchase Order has now been made and was advertised on site from Tuesday 29 May 2012 and in the local press on 31 May 2012 and 7 June 2012. The closing date for representations in respect of the CPO was 29 June 2012.
It is anticipated that once work starts, the development will take about three years to build.
An application for a Non Material Amendment (NMA/2012/0025) was approved on 17 April 2012.
A Lawful Development Certificate (WA/2012/0553) was granted on 17 May 2012.
Having made the Compulsory Purchase Order (CPO), we have to ask for it to be confirmed by the Secretary of State for Communities and Local Government. Before doing so the Secretary of State needs to hold a public inquiry into any objections from people who believe that the Order should not be confirmed.
A public inquiry, conducted by the Inspector, Mr Colin Ball, was held at The Bush Hotel, Farnham from 15 - 30 January 2013. The Inspector will produce a report for the appropriate government Minister clearly setting out his conclusions and putting forward recommendations. After considering the Inspector's Report, the Minister will decide to confirm, modify or reject the CPO.
You can also contact:
Waverley Borough Council
Tel: 01483 523432
Page owner: Ben Hammond. Last updated: 15/03/2013 16:16
Further pages in Brightwells development at East Street in Farnham
- Brightwells development at East Street
- Planning history for Brightwells at East Street
- Frequently Asked Questions on Brightwells (East Street)